Welcome to Rewire Companion Forum!

There are a few ‘how to start’ guides for using Rewire Companion Forum already, but I thought it might help to give an insight to the mental processes of starting from little, even without any online-communication experience.

Rewire Companion Forum has a unique style of discussion normally in thread-and-reply form. This can feel intimidating. This intimidation factor can be a significant barrier for new forum users. This is a kind of ‘psychological primer’ for engaging in discussions and building meaningful conversations.

I’m not an expert when it comes for interacting with people online especially about this kind of topic. I only taught myself how to do that last year by reading and replying to many threads. I’m partly putting this here because this is the basic approach I use to answer any questions I (or others) have when joining this forum and it will be useful to link to.

Know the basics

Despite it’s size, the Rewire Companion Forum is easy to navigate if you know some basics. This is a testament to the quality of the work that has gone into it.

You have to start by understanding roughly how things work. That makes creating or engaging in new or old conversations a lot easier.

• Checkout the latest top threads to get a basic approach about the current most discussed topics.
  • Click here and read this topic. This one is a mini guide of this forum and a recommended post for newbies to read.
  • You can also checkout the Frequently Asked Questions in this forum.
  • And the nofap terms we use.

But if you want a detailed, well-explained and clear guide, you can read the New User Guide

Threads/Topics

Threads, also referred as topics, are the main body of this forum. Yes, just like a body, it has many parts and each part has a certain functionality. You can say that these functionalities are the different categories of the Rewire Companion Forum such as General Discussion Find a companion Diary Challenge Need Advice Accountability Group Sister Support Site Feedback International and much more. But these body parts have one thing in common; they’re all related to the same subject: Nofap and self-improvement.

Yes! It’s absolutely essential to only create / engage in conversations related to Nofap and self-improvement. Even Uncategorized topics are related to nofap and self-improvement!

Chats & Messages

The Chat feature allows you to communicate with diffrent people in one place. It contains many channels and each channel has its own category. You can also personal-chat a member or a group member about anything. You can say it’s like a mini Discord for Rewire Companion Forum.

The message feature allows you to message a member or a group of members but in a more organized way. It’s kind of a private thread where only limited users can communicate.

Cheers & Badges

Cheers are awarded for engaging with the community, such as visiting, liking, and posting. Your score is updated every few minutes. You can see anyone’s cheers by clicking on their profile pic and the Leaderboard of the most active and impactful users in this forum. So go be helpful, active, and supportive, and rise through the ranks!

Badges in Rewire Companion Forum reinforce positive user behaviour and facilitates “learning by doing”. There are two ways to receive a badge:

1. Manually granted by an administrative user
  2. Automatically granted by the system

Furthermore, all badges have some optional properties.

• Allow badge to be used as a title
  • Can be granted multiple times
  • Show badge on the public badges page
  • Show post granting badge on badge page

Certain badges also coincide with trust levels

Roles: The Users Trust System

When you’ve attained a new trust trust level, you’ll receive a corresponding badge to notify you of the bump-up.

• Trust Level 1 → Basic
  • Trust Level 2 → Member
  • Trust Level 3 → Regular
  • Trust Level 4 → Leader

Trust levels are a way of…

• Sandboxing new users in your community so that they cannot accidentally hurt themselves, or other users while they are learning what to do.
  • Granting experienced users more rights over time, so that they can help everyone maintain and moderate the community they generously contribute so much of their time to.

Post Forms & Advanced Features

Now let’s get to the exciting part of this guide. Even though @discobot already gives a small guide regarding this topic, there are a lot more special features everyone must know. But you can review the markdown code basics if you want first.

Tasks:

[X] Task 1
[ ] Task 2

Output:

Task 1
Task 2

Footnotes:

Some text[^1].

[^1]: This is a footnote.

Output:

Some text[1].

Additionally to markdown, Rewire Companion Forum also supports a subset of “common” BBCode:

[u]underlined[/u]
[s]strikethrough[/s]
[email][email protected][/email]
[spoiler]it's a sled[/spoiler]

Output:

underlined
strikethrough
[email protected]

it’s a sled

Custom BBCode specific to this Forum, needed for functions that don’t fit into Markdown, but do fit into BBCode.

Markdown specifies that it works seamlessly with HTML, so it does support it.

However, it only supports a “safe” subset of HTML.
See the list of supported tags and attributes here: discourse/allow-lister.js at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub

But here’s what you must know that can be really helpful:

Hiding details:

<details>
  <summary>What you first see</summary>
    This is the detail that you will see after clicking on the summary
</details>

Output:

What you first see This is the detail that you will see after clicking on the summary

Text align

<div align="right">

This content will be written on the right

</div>

<div align="center">

This content will be written in the center

</div>

<div align="left">

This content will be written on the left. Like normally.

</div>

Output:

This content will be written on the right

This content will be written in the center

This content will be written on the left. Like normally.

Marks:

<mark>This text will be marked</mark>

Output:

This text will be marked

Abbreviations

<p>The <abbr title="World Health Organization">WHO</abbr> was founded in 1948.</p>

Output:

The WHO was founded in 1948.

(mouse over the element)

Paragraphs:

<p> This is only a text. No matter what I write, it's always a text.

[img]https://cdn.rewirecompanion.com/user_avatar/rewirecompanion.com/taher/144/18410_2.png[/img] 

This could have been an image if it wasn't written inside this code. </p>

Output:

This is only a text. No matter what I write, it's always a text. [img]https://cdn.rewirecompanion.com/user_avatar/rewirecompanion.com/taher/144/18410_2.png[/img]

This could have been an image if it wasn’t written inside this code.

Small Text

<small>This is a small text</small

Output:

This is a small text

Tables

<table>
    <tr>
        <th>Header 1</th>
        <th>Header 2</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Data 1</td>
        <td>Data 2</td>
    </tr>
</table>

Output:

Header 1 Header 2
Data 1 Data 2

Line breaks

<p>This text<br>has a line break.</p>

Output:

This text
has a line break.

Preformatted text

<pre>
                     My Bonnie lies over the ocean.

My Bonnie lies over the sea.

Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me.
</pre>

Output:

My Bonnie lies over the sea.

Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me.

Comments:

<!-- This is a comment. It won't be visible on the page. -->

Output:

Deleted VS Added

<del>deleted element</del>
<ins>added element</ins>

Output:

deleted element
added element

Superscript and Subscript:

<p>This is <sup>superscript</sup> text.</p>
<p>This is <sub>subscript</sub> text.</p>

Output:

This is superscript text.

This is subscript text.

Audios & Videos

This is an audio:

<audio controls>
    <source src="https://archive.org/download/HungarianRhapsody2_9/HR2_Complete.mp3" type="audio/mp3">
</audio>

And this is a video:

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
    <source src="https://player.vimeo.com/external/384761655.sd.mp4?s=383ab4dbc773cd0d5ece3af208d8f963368f67e4&profile_id=164&oauth2_token_id=57447761.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

Output:

This is an audio:

And this is a video:

Buttons:

<kbd>this is a simple button</kbd>

<kbd>[[img]https://cdn.rewirecompanion.com/user_avatar/rewirecompanion.com/taher/144/18410_2.png[/img] **Our Moderator**](https://rewirecompanion.com/u/taher/summary)</kbd>

Output:

this is a simple button

Founder

@Taher

You can also use the features that exists above your post draft like emojis, polls, lists, quotes, links, etc…

I hope this guide helps somebody.
Regards,

@Binocular

1. This is a footnote. ↩︎

13 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Great work mate :muscle: always up for other’s

5 Likes

Thanks brother. I hope this topic will clear confusion for new members and will make engaging or building conversations a lot easier.

5 Likes

Well done
And great job as always
I am proud of you
d3a83767f2f66a098567f8ff237fa7d8

4 Likes

This post is awesome!

Thank you @Binocular

1 Like

Dang bro
you really put some good effort into that
hats off