Special Bird's Daily Journals

Day 2, Thurs - Sep 10, 2020

I’m sorry for the relapse brothers. No need for any encouragement or anything, I know what I need to do.

Our power was completely out for Monday and Tuesday because of the crazy amount of fires we have right now in our area, and I was very stressed from not being able to do my school work. It was stupid and I shouldn’t have relapsed because of it.

And it’s no excuse either. The dangerous thing is these excuses, that’s what the addicted mind uses to convince us against our resolutions. “Oh well this time is different, this is really stressful and never happens so you might as well relapse.” It’s obviously flawed logic, but it’s convincing, especially when my mind is weak.

I don’t know why I didn’t journal, I should have wrote out like I used too, but I see now that I allowed myself to be convinced that it wouldn’t help and that I needed to figure out how to do my work. Classic one I always fall for as of recently. That’s dumb, considering for one, I’m not going to get any work done because I want to relapse, and two, journaling has always worked before because it allows me to see what my brain is saying and where it is going wrong.

Anyway, the mindfulness about that is definitely the first step I should be taking. I have a sleep schedule, I have an exercise schedule, and I need to implement my mindfulness fully.

As a side note, it’s crazy just how much the relapse tanks my motivation, confidence, and work ethic. I’m not even beating myself up about it like I used to, shaming myself. But relapsing really just destroys all of my creative pursuits and it makes even small tasks in the day feel like huge mountains. It’s disgusting. It’s never just PMO, it’s plunging myself back into an older self that I’ve been working hard to move on from.

This is my streak, I am going to make it.

2 Likes

Day 0

I left for a good while. I was just so tired of disappointing everyone, disappointing myself. I wanted to fix things and come back with a solid head on my shoulders. But obviously that hasn’t worked out great. Last month I relapsed a ridiculous amount. This month has been better, been keeping 5 day streaks with one relapse in between.

But in reality, that’s not great considering my track record. That’s where my shame is, because I’ve clearly been in much better places. It’s one thing to go for gradual change when battling a lifelong addiction. But I made it to 175 days, I know I am capable. Yet I accept a mediocre method.

That’s not to say I don’t think my spreadsheets are better to have in addition. Because it’s clear that on my last streak I became so discouraged by my relapse that I plunged into a shame ridden cycle of shit. And I think that could have been mitigated had I not put my entire ego into my number streak. As addicts, we will always have urges and we will always deal with this addiction in our minds in some way. It’s the human condition. To relapse once in 175 days is no large loss. It’s something to be expected in a way, not to say we should aim low, but rather we should realize our humanity.

And that’s where I made my mistake. And ever since, I’ve just been absolutely stuck in this rut. Applying myself now in the middle of a rough semester has proven really difficult, as my priorities lie in my education rather than in leaving time for healthy, discipline related exercises. It’s very hard to find time to journal, and my classmates take no breaks. If I want to keep up, I’m frequently finding myself putting everything aside and sitting at the computer all day to code.

But coming back here is a start, but it’s not the end of it. I’m really trying to change things, learn, adapt, and overcome this. I don’t want to change, I am changing, because I have to. I have to change. I’m 21 for God’s sake. When I first came here I was like 18 or something. Fuck my life. I’ve been trying to beat this for 7 years. That’s shit. Obviously I can’t say I didn’t make progress. I’ve learned so much in a lot of that. But these last two years specifically, I should be done with this.

Anyway, I’m not here to declare the classic “THATS IT!! IM DONE WITH THIS!!” statement and then relapse again.

I’m back, and I’m back to learn and engage in the community, I’m back to grow myself and make real effort. Coming on here means nothing, committing to a journal a day means nothing if I don’t use it in a way that changes my behavior. It means nothing to do routines if I don’t put my heart into it and if I let my strategies stagnate.

And most of all, it won’t mean anything if I don’t learn to respect myself. Not just in the sense of not relapsing, because that’s only a symptom of my lack of control and self-respect. I’ve learned recently that I still hold onto so much shame. I hate myself, I really do. I hate everything about myself. And I have to change that. Because otherwise I won’t make the decisions that are right for me, I won’t take care of who I am and my future.

All of this discipline, it’s always been so cold-hearted, I’m playing tyrant over myself because deep down I hate who I fundamentally am. I feel like a waste of space. I have no special skills, no talents, never dated legitimately, never had a long-term job, I hate the way I look, I hate the way I speak, and I hate the decisions that I make. I have physical problems with my skin and my stomach, dietary sensitivities, slow-learning ability, social awkwardness, no confidence, no friends, and most of all, I have this fucking perverted addiction. I feel that I will never be loved, and I’ve never had a girl be interested in me, or at least not for very long.

So there’s that, and that above is what I carry around in my head all the time. Not comparing to anyone because I’m sure there’s plenty of guys on here that have it worse, that’s not my point. My point is, I genuinely hate myself and that needs to change. I need to be less self-critical, and more self-supporting.

But not mindlessly. I need to accept the reality of the things that I cannot change about myself, and realize the vast potential of things I can change. I need to realize that there is a limit to how much I should let external factors affect my self-image. And most of all, I need to adopt a growth mindset in all areas of my life, not just education.

I won’t ever change if I can’t learn to see things differently. Because as I realized before, in my last high streak, it’s all mindset, it’s all about how you tend to your mind. Because every decision starts there.

Anyway, that’s my speal for tonight. Goodnight.

4 Likes

Day 1 - Morning, Nov 18, 2020

Had quite a bit of urges last night. But I pulled through, not by ignoring them, but by addressing them and expelling them.

I have been doing breathing exercises every night lately, tracking my thoughts by focusing only on my breaths. It’s helped me to have a better understanding of where my emotions are coming from and what my brain is thinking. It’s amazing how much goes under the radar of our concious when we let negative thoughts become habit.

Last night was a fair slew of negative thoughts, but I kept addressing them and reminding myself that I’m tired. I got to bed quickly, worked on slowing down my thoughts with the breathing meditation, and went to bed.

Today is a new day. My goal is getting my sleep back on track, it got off the past few days and I think that’s been affecting me too.

Watching this video series has been a godsend to me, it made me realize a lot of what I was talking about yesterday and today:

1 Like

Day 6 - Morning, Nov 23, 2020

All has been well, albeit busy with finals.

Some thoughts on my mind lately/things I’ve been struggling with:

I’ve been worried about my progress against this addiction, I’ve made it 6 days. I find myself wondering how this is different than any other six days I’ve made it. But I think they all have a common thread. They mean something at the very least, because otherwise it’s a relapse every day. In these streaks of clean days I’m reaching into a different mindset, I’m approaching the addiction with a “can do” view on things. I think that’s the greatest piece of the puzzle, being aware of what you are telling yourself. The addiction takes that away first, and my mind tries as hard as it can to hammer into my concious that I am weak and unable. That’s the first lie of the addiction.

Secondly, I’ve been very bothered by my thoughts lately. I’ve done well indentifying toxic shame in my thoughts, although it’s still a struggle each day. However, I’ve been bothered by the stress from school and it’s made my feelings of hatred towards myself much harder to identify and turn around. But I was reading the following passage from the book “Notes from the End of Everything” and it really pointed out what my problem is here with school and toxic shame. It’s regret. I let it eat away at me whenever I get overwhelmed, or even when I’m relaxing. Here’s the passage:

This is something I know now is a big issue for me as well. And one I’m going to start identifying and changing.

Anyway, that’s the current status right now. Hope you guys are all well.

2 Likes

Day 8 - Morning, Nov 25, 2020

All has been good. Last night however was a bit of a struggle for me, just felt really down and out towards the end of the night, and I let those feelings of inadequacy creep in again. I couldn’t seem to shake them last night.

However, waking up now, I see I was just fairly tired, and I shouldn’t have stayed up late. Played some Halo with friends. Being up late is tricky, I think it’s alright for me as long as I don’t make a habit of it and I know my limits. On a special occasion, it’s alright. Last night was done well, I got to bed fairly on time, but yeah it was a little late and it kinda showed. But my friend just got his new pc so we thought why not have a little break.

Tonight I want to get back on schedule. I really want to start running again, but the onset of winter has made that hard with all the rain. It rains everyday all day. Oh well, I have an indoor routine, it’s just not the best cardio.

There’s a lot of pressure to do well in my classes, everyone competing to keep up. It can be really stressful at times. But I think the key is to not get overwhelmed by it, let it be what it will be and plan out a strategy for how to get it done. That’s best way to go.

Hope you guys are getting along well.

@Forerunner Didn’t realize you relapsed bro, I’m sorry to hear. But don’t let the shame bind you to the floor! You are more than a relapse, and it’s clear that you have been making progress. Those 40 days or so didn’t go to waste Might I suggest trying a spreadsheet along side your day count? It’s really been helping me to see the progress I’ve made even if I relapse on occasion.

Anyway, stay strong brother, I wish I could say more, but even at my current state I’m probably not in a place to say what I’ve already said. I know truly though, that you are worth more than any relapse that makes it seem like you are a failure. Keep well :pray:

1 Like

I appreciate the support @Special_Bird :pray::heart:

It’s a shameful act, but I don’t have to let shame define me. I’m happy to be free today.

Thanks for the offer brother, but I’m done monitoring progress. ~25 days this year were relapse days, which may make this the year I’ve had the least relapses ever, but each one brought me great misery and pain afterwards. Without a doubt, this has been my most painful year in the addiction. There’s no progress there for me.

I’m focusing on enjoying each day of freedom and rejoicing in the fact I don’t have to return to that filth anymore.

2 Likes

Day 0 - Morning, Nov 29, 2020

Relapsed last night. It was clearly a bad move though on my part. I said one more game to my friends, which in RTS terms is like another 2 hours. So that was a bad idea, especially at the beginning of my streak while I’m still cementing my strategies.

Anyway, the changes have been made to address it. Something that I really am happy with is that I’ve come a long way in tackling the toxic shame associated with this addiction. And I think those are the chains that were binding me to constant failure. I was so ashamed of who I was, so sad and disgusted that I let myself continually harm myself with PMO.

After relapse last night, I had a healthy shame, I felt stupid for what I had done and it was frustrating. But I didn’t beat myself up internally, I didn’t tell myself I’m worthless or that I’ll never get better. That’s a really big milestone for me because it’s essential to healing. If I destroy everything I’ve worked on because I’ve relapsed, then I will never escape because relapses are inevitable in the process of recovery.

It’s less about those relapses that happen here and there, and more about the emotional and psychological growth and healing that I make throughout. Eventually, the complete streak will come with it. That’s not to say that my streak is not a direct result of my actions, it is, it’s just that I no longer see it as a complete destruction of my progress if I relapse. My progress isn’t measured there, it’s measured in how far I move in healing my toxic shame and unhealthy physical and mental habits.

The spreadsheet has helped with this. This month has been significantly better than last month, with only 4 relapses. So I’m proud of that. Last month was hell.

Anyway, time to get going on the day.

Day 0 - Afternoon, Dec 9, 2020

Laziness is really what it has come down to in regards to my recent relapses. I didn’t disappear at first because of relapse, but I was just busy with final projects. But that was actually just laziness on my part. There’s no situation where I will not have enough time to take care of myself and come here to journal.

And that’s the big issue I have, is consistency. If I’m consistent with my strategies and mindfulness, then I can break out of this. It’s time for me to stop pretending like I don’t have time to do these things, I do, I just don’t make time. And if I’m not willing to make time for this, then I won’t be willing to go against my feelings to relapse. Mindfulness, discipline, and self-love/care are the key aspects to this recovery. If I’m not willing to make the time for my strategies and mindfulness, then really what I’m saying is I don’t have time to take care of myself, and that’s a self-defeating move.

Anyway, despite final exams I’m stepping back into this. My short term goal is to continue with my strategies consistently through finals week. I have to make it for myself. That means breathing exercises at night. Journaling/reading online in the morning. Combating negative thoughts/toxic shame throughout the day. Stay productive but also take care to give myself breaks and have fun. The focus is balance and consistent effort.

Anyway, that’s that. Hope all you reading this are doing well.

3 Likes

Day 1 - Evening, Dec 10, 2020

Feeling alright today. Been battling negative thoughts fairly consistently. I just don’t have the energy I want right now. It’s bugging me, but I think coming here and addressing my problems is helping. Just to make a concerted effort in a positive direction, that’s really what I need right now I think.

So I really didn’t want to journal today or practice mindfulness last night, but I did anyway, and I’m glad I did. It’s difficult to get myself to do that. But the reality is, the fastest way out of depressive and addictive cycles is mindful action, despite feelings. My emotions tell me to be lazy and not do anything because I feel like crap, but that’s not what I’m going to do, and because of that, I’m feeling better because I’m doing things that improve myself.

I have to break that negative emotion loop.

It’s strange how rapidly things can fluctuate in life. But hopefully this will turn around soon.

I started an online dating account again. I’m not trying to expect much from it, and I’m being honest with what I want in a relationship and not settling. I just want to test the waters again and see if it’s worth doing at all. Just gonna set up the account and let it sit.

Anyway, Day 1, let’s make that Day 2. Stay strong everyone :muscle:

1 Like

Day 2 - Morning, Dec 11, 2020

I think another issue I am having lately is goals. I feel like I’m floating around right now now that school is ending. Which is weird because I do have goals, this winter break I am going to complete a project with friends. But I just feel like my mindset hasn’t been there, especially with my recent relapses. But the self-made deadlines for our project are coming up, so I need to step it into gear. I need to be aware of what’s important. To me, what’s important is:

1. Quitting this addiction and growing into the best person I can be.
  2. Developing my professional skills and portfolio
  3. Developing my skills outside of school in my hobbies

I’ve just been thinking a lot about what I’m even trying to do after signing up for that online dating site. Like I was so focused on it yesterday, but then I realized like, I’m not even interested in it, I don’t have myself in a good place right now. I’ll probably leave it up for the sake of the effort and because you never know, but I want to focus on improving myself, and forwarding my career and hobbies. If I meet someone that we can compliment each other’s lives, then great, but I feel like I was partly falling back into the rut of wanting validation. And I realized it’s just so hollow.

1 Like

Hi brother, I want to see again that special bird who had done 180+ days streak. And again will say that

This is my streak and I am going to make it

I Liked this line so much and When I was new to forum I was inspired by you, @Forerunner and @anon67854825 from check in diary.

I also relapsed 2 days ago. So we have same streak as of now. I hope this time we put our best to do nofap.

As some motivation, I want to like to put few lines I liked in sia’s song Courage to change.

World, I want to leave you better
I want my life to matter
I am afraid I have no purpose here
I watch the news on TV
Abandon myself daily
I am afraid to let you see the real me
Rain it falls, rain it falls
Pouring on me
And the rain it falls, rain it falls
Sowing the seeds of love and hope, love and hope
We don’t have to stay here, stuck in the weeds
Have I the courage to change?
Have I the courage to change today? (Oh)
Have I the courage to change today? (Oh)
You’re not alone in all this
You’re not alone, I promise
Standing together we can do anything
You’re not alone in all this
You’re not alone, I promise
Standing together we can do anything

At last I want to say again that

This is our streak and We will going to make it.

5 Likes

@Karan050 Thank you bro, it means a lot. I’m trying to regain that same confidence I had before and I feel like it is close, I am really trying to dedicate myself to these strategies this time. But you reminded me. That the phrase is not about making assumptions that I will not fail, but rather that I will put everything into each and every streak because I want it to be my last. Maybe that is something I’ve failed to do as of late. Putting my all into my streaks.

Thanks brother, let’s move forward from here with that mindset of no return :muscle:

Day 3 (not yet, but close enough) - Morning, Dec 12, 2020

Emotions were a bit all over the place yesterday, just felt like crap for most of the day. Couldn’t get myself to do anything. Not really sure what that is, is it related to relapse? I would say definitely partially, but usually I have pretty good work ethic despite relapse. Anyway, I didn’t want to stay in my funk, so I got myself to clean my room, which was in dire need of cleaning anyway.

Just doing small things first helped and I felt better by the end of the night as I was able to get one more task out of the way. Today I feel much more motivated to do the things I needed to do yesterday, so my goal is to get those done.

Nightly mindfulness exercises have been getting better. Fighting toxic shame is a back and forth battle but I feel like I am learning to care less about those thoughts and dismiss them. Something to work on still I guess.

I think I’m going to start journaling again like I used to when I get urges. I think that will be important. I’m applying preventative measures, but if the urges come anyway I need to be ready to address them, find their source, and deal with them accordingly.

Anyway, that’s it for me today. Stay strong everyone.

3 Likes

Day 5 - Dec 15, 2020

Should have journaled yesterday and Sunday, but totally forgot with finals. Almost forgot today too, but thankfully I remembered.

Today is another final, the one I’m most worried about. I’m also kinda running low on sleep, so keeping my eyes out for any urges that may creep in.

If I get urges today my plan is to immediately get up, do some push ups, then sit down and journal/mindfulness breathing until I expell the urges and figure out what the best course of action is.

To avoid urges, I should keep busy today with productive things after my final, and make sure I make good progress on my projects. I’m not going to play games tonight online because I’m low on sleep, that could bring urges. I will be going to bed early.

Aside from all that, I’ve been feeling pretty good the past few days, and I’ve had less negative thinking.

Anyway, stay strong guys :muscle:

1 Like

You’re doing well bro. You can do this. Just make sure you’re progressing and not staying stagnant. For me what really helped was finding the deep rooted issues that caused my to pmo and working on those everyday. So it turned into a self development journey. Then you really see the progress happening when you actively work on those things and also you begin not wanting pmo because you’re feeling better about your issues. Good luck. :+1:

1 Like

@Sacred Thank you man! Definitely, lately I realized I have a lot of toxic shame built up since childhood and that I shame myself over stupid things all the time. That’s been the big thing I’ve been working on right now, but you’re right, remaining stagnant is a sure-fire way to relapse again. It’s surprising how hard it is to not stagnant, but it makes sense, this addiction takes more than just the same, constant effort, because we are actively being pulled in a dark direction. If we don’t put up the same fight in the right direction, then we will surely lose the tug of war.

Thank you for the encouraging words bro, hope you are well yourself :slightly_smiling_face:

Day 6 - Dec 16, 2020

Spent my time this morning reading posts on the pornfree reddit. I found a user who makes really helpful recovery posts, so he’s been my go-to for reading lately. In his 90 day post, he gave a couple of links to different helpful resources.

So I think I’ll now implement some of those. He made a good point, that preventative measures that keep a proper mindset that avoids urges is the most beneficial, as we can’t always rely on willpower to perform our strategies in the moment. In this way, this addiction is a lot like an RTS. It’s not about what you do in the moment of battle so much as it is about how you planned out your overall strategy and prepared for those battles beforehand.

Again, this is where I think I slipped on my highest streak. I became lazy and stagnant, and relied too much on my in-the-moment strategies, rather than maintaining a mindset that fosters growth and avoidance of those situations in the first place.

So in light of that, I’m implementing some new strategies. When I go for runs now or in the morning in general, I will listen to the pornfree podcast. If I can listen to at least 3 podcasts a week, I think that will be good.

Additionally, I am going to check out alternative ways to manage my streak to go along side my spreadsheet method, one that focuses on trying new strategies and recognizing the patterns of good and bad behavior.

Lastly, when I relapse, I will go to the big list of strategies on the pornfree reddit and figure out one I can add to help avoid whatever pitfall I fell into.

Anyway, time to get going on the day. Stay strong everyone :muscle:

1 Like

Day 7 - Dec 17, 2020

Not much of an update today, just checking in to keep myself consistent and mindful. Urges have been less lately, been keeping myself busy. But reminding myself that they could hit at anytime. If they do, I detach from the situation (30 push ups set), then sit down somewhere new away from computers or seclusion and either journal or practice breathing meditation to focus my thoughts. I need to identify the cause of the urges and act accordingly to resolve the issue without relapsing.

Besides that, this morning I’m going to browse reddit to get my daily dose of reading. I listened to pornfree radio yesterday. It was alright, but maybe I need to try other episodes.

Anyway, keep strong everyone :muscle:

1 Like

Day 0 - Dec 19, 2020

Damnit man, I was doing pretty good. But relapses are bound to occur, gotta pick myself up and learn from my mistakes.

Ok so a couple things went wrong yesterday. For one, I was trying to get myself out of bed because I had started making a habit of going back to sleep and then just laying in bed for like half an hour to an hour just scrolling on my phone. I turned that into journaling, but still I ended up wasting a lot of time.

So yesterday I forced myself out of bed but I didn’t end up journaling, which was probably not the best idea especially for the beginning of my streak. I was highly productive yesterday however, and I got urges in the middle of the day which I evaded by doing push ups, reminding myself in my head my reasons for doing this and then focusing back on work. That worked well enough, but if the urges were a lot I was completely ready to journal if needed.

So the rest of the day goes by, and my friends want to play online. I say “sure why not, I was really productive today”. I think this was another bad move. When I get urges, I should set a flag, like physically write it down, just so that I am aware of my weakpoints that day. Because staying up late is definitely one of them. After we were done playing, I just had that switch where I didn’t fight it in my head and I just did it.

I was originally thinking that this was due to a lack of mental commitment and I was trying to figure out how to overcome that, but that’s not what it was. I’ve been very committed these past 9 days, and there’s no point focusing on that moment I relapsed. Because when we haven’t had a large streak in a long time, the addiction again becomes like a black hole. If you get near it, it’s going to suck you in. It’s the wiring in the brain.

The reality is, until I get farther in my streak, there’s going to be a lot more situations that cause me to relapse. And I’ve noticed this a lot when I get higher streaks. I’m able to make more mistakes as I go on because I’m creating new habits and new wires, I’m more able to control myself in the moment. That doesn’t mean I should get lazy tho btw, which has been my downfall in the past. I start to think that because I could avoid it today without doing my strategies, maybe I’ve beaten it. Wrong! I have to be as consistent as possible.

But anyway, at times like these, in the beginning, it’s highly important I avoid my trigger spots, especially on days when I get urges. Even one little accident can end the streak.

So here’s my plan going forward. Stick to everything I was doing. I’ll make a new habit of getting up out of bed and then journaling, as I did today. However, if I didn’t get to journal, I will set an alarm for a time when I will be free and when the alarm goes off I journal, no questions asked. Similarly if I get an urge in the day, so I don’t forget, I’ll set an alarm towards the late afternoon just to remind myself to avoid trigger spots and get to bed early. This should help train me to be more conciously aware of my slips in consistency and avoid those early pitfalls.

Anyhow, hope you guys are also doing well.

Day 1 - Dec 20, 2020

Almost didn’t journal today, but remembered my strat and here I am.

Today has been alright, definitely more productive than yesterday, but it’s been a bit of a drag and I’m not as focused as I’d like to be. I’m fairly sure that’s due to me getting to bed late last night but I’ll make sure to get to bed on time tonight, already set alarms to remind myself.

Been feeling sluggish since the relapse and I’m shaking that now, I won’t be defined by that but I also don’t want to feel like that again, so again, strats and avoiding trigger zones are gonna be key for this next streak.

Stay strong everybody

Day 0 - Dec 21, 2020

Stayed up late and played games with my friends again. You might wonder how I made that mistake again, and I’d be asking myself the same question. But I think I made the mistake of not addressing the issue of staying up late by sleeping in. I can’t let myself do that because then I’m not tired when it gets late and my friends are asking to hop on I forget about what I said. I need to be aware of my priorities in that moment. And last night and the last relapse before that I wasn’t. I’ve set puzzle alarms for tonight and a lot of them. I’m also really tired so hopefully this should help.

Stay strong everybody :muscle:

Day 1 - Dec 22, 2020

Got to bed early last night and didn’t play games with my friends late. Felt good about that. Did my breathing exercises before bed.

I still got serious urges last night, probably just residual from my relapses, but I stopped myself and decided to journal about it instead to pick it out in my brain. I ended up reading all of my old journal entries and that really inspired me to just go to bed.

So yesterday was a pretty successful day. Now to keep that momentum.

Hope you all are doing well.