Couple of thoughts

Happy new year to all! :rice_scene:
Those of you who are with us for a while must have noticed the lack of updates in Android app, and Rewire platform like the barebones my.rewirecompanion.com.

Rewire Companion was created when I had much more free time, now as I progress into adulthood, responsibilities keep increasing and free time is quite a luxury.

Initially, there were plans for iOS version (we also had a beta), and a web version with seamless sync across and deeper integration with forum. But development and maintenance of 3 platforms is not possible with current schedule. So, I am thinking to create a web version of the android app, accessible right from your browser. This will allow larger audience (iOS users), easier updates, more flexibility. The cons are less quality experience than native android app and losing access to app if you don’t have internet connection. This also means stopping future updates for android version.

Let me know your thoughts on this, let’s keep this an open ended informal discussion.

26 Likes

As long as the android app works, that’s all I care about.

13 Likes

Please dont stop the future update for android version.It would be better if you add a comment section on post it will be much helpful for all of us.Most of the people dont how to communicate on forum or create one of it.If they write any post we can help them on comment section.I mostly use this app to achieve what badges i will get after completing those target.Currently my badge is Baron.I wonder what badge I will get if I hit 1000 days.

Can you make a timer on web version too?like we can see our progress and also set/reset our streak from web browser too.I see some of my companion dont use the app version.So there should not be any problem for iOS users too.They can use the web version.Only cons for web users:Have to be online always

11 Likes

Man as far as I know, majority of RC users have Android so it might not be a good decision keeping the majority in mind.

Till what point the updates will be stopped? If the updates are related to fixing bugs, it shouldn’t be stopped for a longer period of time

10 Likes

A lot of people don’t want to download the app because of fear of being exposed to others with their addiction. So this is a good idea in this prospective. It will also make many people engage in challenges for they now have their counters and sharing codes just a click away in the web version. It might also lead for many more people to be active thanks to the app’s functionalities.

But for the android app, it will be a mear shortcut. This might make more people uninstall it. And stopping future updates on it will make it even worse for the app.

So in conclusion, it’s good news for the Forum but not for the android app. @Taher you are the creator of both so you know more than I about them so I trust you to make the right decision.

6 Likes

If you’re gonna go for it here’s a suggestion:

Can you add this functionality later on?

4 Likes

What if the app is a web wrapper around the website? Like the forum. It can make the transition less jarring.

Yes

6 Likes

Yup that would be clever. Every update on the website will result in automatic update on the app which is wrapped version of the website right?

Great! :heart:

Thanks for all your efforts @Taher sir. And happy new year!

5 Likes

Yes, it will be basically loading a webpage that’s all. Happy new year to you too.

14 Likes

@Taher
How to update our name in the app? There is no option of changing our current name.

4 Likes

@Taher Good evening Taher sir. Belated happy new year to you. I hope your new year went good.

I only have very few suggestions. If it could be solved, it would be very helpful. They are:

1. Name changing: We would like a feature which will allow users itself in app and forum to change their names. Imagine always keeping on requesting to change names. It’s kinda hectic.

2. A forum counter linked with RC app: If our forum also had our streak synced with our mobile RC app, won’t it be amazing. We can also check how others are doing and suppose in challenge if a person doesn’t respond, we can check his profile and see his streak and knew if he relapsed or not.

Well, these 2 are the only changes I want in the forum and app. Btw it’s just a suggestion. But it would be really great if these 2 are introduced. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Since the app is going to be in the future forum, I would also recommend the search feature to be added.

2 Likes

Well, faxx. I agree.
When there are too many people you loose interest in searching your accountability partner

4 Likes

I am a laptop user and a web app is fine with me.

4 Likes

We would then have another Leaderboard for streaks! That would be awesome don’t you think?

5 Likes

@Taher
I would recommend that on every person’s user card, Current Streak will show. User(he/she) can make it visible or invisible(depends on his/her privacy). If user ignore someone that means no info related user will be visible to that person.
That will be fantastic idea we don’t need to add by sharecode in webpage.

2 Likes
Make my streak:
  • Visible to me only
  • Visible to some: (Tap to sellect user)
  • Invisible to some: (Tap to sellect user)
  • Visible to all
3 Likes

Here’s an idea. Automatic challenges.

For example a monthly nofap league with the option to join or not. Like NNN but for every month. During the last week of the current month you will be asked if you eant to join.

4 Likes

Yes and I want that update here. It will be awesome

3 Likes