Special Bird's Daily Journals

Day 0, Evening - May 31, 2020

Feeling so demotivated and depressed. Ayaya, I just want to escape this terrible feeling. It’s really a matter of when and where I draw the line. There’s a lot of things I need to work through too, that I haven’t. And maybe I can’t properly sort out problems until I have this in check. I’m so unbelievably tired of it.

It amazes me how this can go on, how much I won’t work to make my life better. But that’s human nature I guess. There is light and dark that cuts between each and every man’s soul. If I don’t choose to live better now, where will I be in a year from now? Five years? Ten years? Completely miserable. I mean it’s already been 6 years. I told myself I would be done with this by now. I’ve been pledging for 6 years now that I would change, that the next streak would be the last. That’s really sad honestly.

But I guess that’s the way addiction goes. I know the way out of this, but I have to actually do it. And I have to care enough to do it. The question is, do I want to be happy?

Day 0 (on my way to day 1), Morning - June 1, 2020

Woke up early again today, grateful for that. But I procrastinated starting my work, laid down again after turning off my alarm. I slept for 15 more minutes, then got up, sat on my phone for another 20, and then ate breakfast while talking to my family. I guess I don’t regret the latter per say, but I can definitely do that later. Getting to work right away is important.

So right now, I’m going to make the morning alarm puzzle harder, so that I remember that I need to get up, and so it wakes me up more.

In terms of my mental state, I’ve been feeling kind of insecure or filled with a bit of anxiety this morning. Overthinking things, but it’s definitely because of my relapse. I have to stop attributing my bad feelings with other things until I’m clean, because most of the time it is my addiction that’s giving me these constant negative emotions.

But I think I know why my brain does it. It feels terrible for relapsing, but it doesn’t see a solution, it feels trapped because I keep doing it, so it naturally assumes it must be something else in my life causing these feelings. And I’ll notice this switch a lot too. When I relapse, I’ll often feel so much guilt and sadness, and then it starts to turn to anger. But as that frustration and negative emotion grows, all of a sudden I start thinking of things that bother me, and I start to become angry at that (i.e. something with politics). My brain doesn’t know what to do with all this negative emotion because I don’t work through it, so it tries to apply it somewhere, to mitigate the terrible feelings of guilt and hopelessness.

Maybe there’s more to it than that for why it does this, but I definitely see this switch happening, and it’s really not good. It’s avoidant behavior, and maybe one of the reasons why it’s been so difficult for me to be mindful. I’ve made a habit of hiding my problems behind things. That’s not good, but I need start identifying it and pinning it on this addiction, because it definitely is from this addiction.

So with that in mind, and last night’s relapse, I’m stepping up my journaling. I’m going to start journaling here thoughout the day, specifically when I’m at home and just working, because that’s a major trigger for me.

So today has been alright, I’m satisfied with it. I’m making an effort to learn, and that’s most important. Losing sight of that, which I often do, is the main enemy I’ve realized. If I’m not willing to make change and learn, try new strategies, and figure out what’s best for me, if I remain stagnant, then I will surely relapse.

I’m still feeling a fair bit of unneeded anxiety though, so I’m also giving that up here and now. It seems to be anxiety stemming from a feeling of hopelessness and despair of the addiction. My life has felt more stressful because the enjoyment of the little things and my ability to think through my problems emotionally and subsequently intellectually has been hampered by my constant escape from responsibility in the form of relapsing. So I’m experiencing the usual stress that comes with daily life tasks and big decisions, but none of the peace from a stable inner-self.

So no wonder I feel anxiety-ridden. There’s no enjoyment in pure chaos. But I have to let this anxiety go, it won’t help me. I will get through this, specifically by thinking things through and not avoiding this responsibility any longer. And that’s relieving, because I can take responsibility. I want to, and I can, so therefore I will. And because of that, all of this will be sorted through. And in taking responsibility, I am able to let the anxiety of chaos go. I’m already feeling better in this regard, knowing it’s there for me to take and that I’m taking it by journaling right now. So it’s important that I stay with journaling throughout today, and each day, because mindfulness is the key to an orderly life.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting thought as well. I’ve realized I have been using going outside as an escape from taking responsibility for my actions.

Getting outside and breathing in fresh air is highly important for a daily routine in my opinion, but I also can’t let myself use it as a reason to not face my demons.

I’ve noticed I do this a lot, I feel terrible about what I’ve done or how my life is going (not taking responsibility for myself), so I go outside and explore, skateboard, or do other pointless activities (which are good when they are warranted) to feel better about myself, to feel like I’m being good to myself.

But in fact, it’s just the opposite, and it shows because often I have no purpose for doing anything outside, I’m just there to avoid my feelings. And it manifests itself in what I do outside, always on the move, not sure what to do, but I just don’t want to stick around one spot. Maybe that’s a little convoluted, but it’s hard to articulate since it’s my first time realizing this. I’m not completely sure I’ve dissected it 100% just yet as well. But my avoidant behavior and lack of a mindful (and therefore meaningful) life is definitely manifesting itself in my want to go outside for no reason other than to get away.

Interesting, I definitely should keep note when I get feelings like that, like I was getting now. It’s probably a sign that I’m not facing everything I need to face.

Put it this way, try to remember the man you were at your high streak, I bet you didn’t dissect every little thought, maybe because you had only goals at that time and not stupid thoughts. Get your goals back man, and start doing some push ups as well.

4 Likes

@Mazerunner Thanks brother, I agree, it definitely isn’t required to dissect this much once I get going. But I’ve left a lot unworked through, even after my short few months since my last big streak.

I know it seems like a lot, but it’s what got me there the first time. It’s all about understanding myself.

But thank you for the encouragement bro, I know I can do it this time, it’s all about setting my mind to it :muscle:

1 Like

Day 1, Afternoon - June 7, 2020

Feeling very stressed this morning. I think it’s mostly from ignoring my thoughts and so it makes me think about it more. I need to address them. I got back with my girlfriend maybe 5-6 days ago or so. I wrote that whole post about why I should break up with her, but then she wrote me a really really sweet and kind message and I had to think through again. Because I was already unsure about the decision. So anyway, it’s been all good now, and I’m happy I got back with her.

But then my mind starts worrying again. I don’t know, maybe I have some weird thing with commitment. I’ve been trying to ignore the thoughts and focus on my work, but I can’t, they just keep causing me more and more stress. And so I need to address them directly, otherwise I’ll spend my whole day scouring Google maps for some abandoned place to explore. An odd form of release, but that’s what gets my mind of things I guess lol.

So anyway, I’ve been really thinking about this. I love her very much, but I also feel that there are certain aspects I’m not really sure about. And I can’t deny those, but I also think that’s the way it is with every relationship. I at least owe it to her to give her more time and see how this works out. Because this is an online dating thing, so we actually haven’t met in person lol, so ya it’s an odd scenario. She lives like really far away, so we haven’t been able to meet yet because of covid and all that. So my thoughts are that I should at least meet her in person and see if the energy is the there and if we really connect. And I have remind myself that I can always back out if it’s just not working. I tend to trap myself like this in obligation to people. So I think this thought that I’ll be trapped in a relationship that I may not like is I think my main source of stress. But I will break up with her if it’s not working out, and knowing that, I’m already feeling better. I lover her a lot actually, and maybe that seems odd for an online relationship, but we talk a lot, and from what I can tell everything adds up very well. My worry is just that in person it will be different. But I guess we will see. And I’ll leave it at that.

Anyway, just had to get that off my chest, and I already feel my stress is dissipating.

A reason for staying clean today:

I feel disgusting when I relapse. Where is my old confidence and joy for life? And maybe all this stress and worry stems from my lack of progress in escaping this addiction. No more.

You’re going to pay a price for every bloody thing you do and everything you don’t do. You don’t get to choose to not pay a price. You get to choose which poison you’re going to take. That’s it.

• Jordan B. Peterson
2 Likes

I too once was in an online relationship, suffice to say things didn’t work out but I do believe they can work if both partners make it work. Just don’t forget your goals are still a big priority; I know I lost sight of my goals during my online relationship. Then again we all mature and you seem like you’re in the right mindset. Hope everything works for you man.

1 Like

Thanks bro, I’m sorry to hear that. But yes I think you’re right. They definitely take more work in regards to both partners needing to be very open and honest with each other. I feel like we’ve been that way, except obviously about these doubts particularly. But I have worked through a lot with her and I see it going well.

But you’re 100% right, this relationship has really made it hard for me to stick to my noPMO goals. And it’s really frustrating, but I’m trying to straighten it out by working through every piece of it. I think the fact that it has been a source of urges for me has probably contributed to my feelings of being trapped. So that’s something to work through too. Anyway, mindfulness takes time.

Thanks man, hope you are doing well yourself.

1 Like

Day 1, Evening - June 9, 2020

Stressful day today with another math quiz, but I finally finished it. My sleep schedule has been off lately, so I’m going to really try to hammer out my project work so I can get some sleep tonight.

No urges as of yet, I’m trying to stay alert to any feelings. Right now I’m still kind of decompressing from stress, so I’m sure some urges may creep up within that time. If so, I’ll be back here to work through them.

To suffer terribly and to know yourself as the cause: that is Hell.

• Jordan B. Peterson
1 Like

Day 1, Late evening - June 9, 2020

Having urges now as the day winds down. They’re just urges though, no thoughts that I can identify other than feelings of wanting to relapse. I’m sure there’s several triggers that could be causing this. But usually I would leave it at that or give some possible reason for it. But that’s not really being mindful if I don’t actually address the urge. I really want to be clean, I’m done with this addiction.

Update:

Successfully evaded. Instead of ruminating on the urge and trying to understand it when I can’t at the moment, I got up and did something else. Pull ups and watched a show with family. Now the urges are gone. I didn’t get work done, but let’s be honest, I wouldn’t have anyway. It was either relapse or do something else. I know the cycle.

I’ve realized pushing myself to work past a certain point is futile. I think I’ll start getting to bed earlier too to avoid these situations.

Anyway, a good success. Going to bed feeling good :pray:

1 Like

Day 0 (was Day 4), Evening - June 12, 2020

Relapsed just a minute ago. Really disappointed as I was feeling like things were going well having broke up with my girlfriend and having had 4 days clean (almost 5).

But I’m also not surprised by any means, I felt the urges today and I knew that there was definitely still stress related to the break up present, as well as more work to do that was piling up.

The real question is how could I have mitigated this. I surely should have journaled, the thought popped into my mind but I pushed it off, again, for the same reasons I always do, that I should be working. I have to remember though that in times like these, I don’t end up working anyway. So it’s always good to take the time to journal. I think doing that could have really helped me to identify what to do next. It’s hard to make good decisions when we don’t stay aware of ourselves.

Another thing is I need to start getting into better, healthy habits. My sleep schedule is in place and starting to become steadier, so now I need to think about setting healthy, daily routines. I really want to start running every other morning. I think that’s always been one of the healthiest habits for the body, mind, and for building mental fortitude. I already have a fairly consistent arm and ab workout schedule so I’m okay there. I think the system I have now where I use them as breaks from my work is helpful.

One thing I need to get into the habit of though is giving myself some time to relax and do my hobbies. Consistent time each day. I think that’s important for the mind to unwind from the day. So instead of setting specific markers in my work for myself, I think I’ll set certain time frames to work, that way if the goal ends up being loftier than I thought (which it usually is), then I can still call it a day and let my brain relax. That’s important, otherwise I start to feel sluggish. That’s at least a good enough schedule for a summer project, since the deadlines are flexible.

Anyway, I’ll have to think about this more.

Man I hate feeling so deflated of energy like this. Everything seems so lively and there’s appears to be so many opportunities when I’m clean. When I relapse, all my energy is zapped, everything seems like too much work, I doubt myself. What a terrible existence. I can’t go on like this, I have to free myself. I’m responsible for all of this and I have to take the initiative to become clean from it. No one nor anything will ever free me, only myself, so I can’t put it off, otherwise I’ll put it off forever. And one day I will wake up and see that the opportunity is truly gone and myself not nearly alive as before. That’s scary.

1 Like

The next time when you get the strongest of urges, just think about your companions, who still believe in you, whom you have helped and inspired countless times!

I can’t see you like this brother, you have to rise again…for us!

1 Like

Thank you brother, you are right! This has gotten me through some tough urges in the past.

But thankfully I did well for the rest of today, I defeated the subsequent urges after the relapse, which is something I haven’t been able to achieve in a long long time. So I take tonight as the start of something truly new.

Thank you for having my back bro! I’m going to escape this, I’m sure of it :muscle:

2 Likes

There is literally an army of friends, supporters and benevolent spirits awaiting you for when you break through.
You are still in the cycle because you give into temptation so easily. Let the urges come and enjoy them, they are the fire that propel your evolution. The juicier you are, the more success in life you will get. Every urge can be used as an ignition to higher inspiration and action.
Learn to feel that life force is not sexual in nature, it’s your attention that directs it into lustfulness. Cultivate higher virtuous and let the energy nourish them.

Be strong

Peace

2 Likes

Hmm that’s an interesting point brother, something I’ll definitely consider when the next urges come around. I think I agree with you to a certain extent, there is quite a bit of energy there naturally that should be harnessed. I think this really relates to boredom as well. If you don’t find things to be passionate about and create habits to build yourself up, then boredom sets in and so does temptation.

But I see what you’re saying also, I think a piece of it is definitely where I focus my energy. For example, sitting at my computer forcing myself to focus when I can’t because I’m having urges is self-destructive, that energy needs to be focused elsewhere. This is a good point, something I really need to hone in on as well.

Thanks bro, hope your doing well :muscle:

Day 0, Noon - June 16, 2020

Been realizing that in the pursuit of feeling more confident, I’ve become too focused on the self. Confidence I think comes with living a consistent life in which you accept yourself for who you are. But becoming focused on image and social status is a sign that I’m falling to the other side of insecurity. And that’s wrong. I want a simple life.

Urges have been in the background today, maybe there a little bit, but not super present. But man, the feeling of relapses is just absolutely terrible, a drop in spirit and will, a loss of motivation, self-respect, and love. I don’t want that again. Of course, reminding myself of that in the moment of urges is easier said than done.

Day 1, Evening - June 17, 2020

Having urges right now, almost didn’t journal, but hell to that. How long am I going to put up with this? I asked myself. I’m tired of doing it, I’m tired of the depression and the lack of energy, and the feelings of hopelessness. I’m tired of feeling guilty coming back to the forum and explaining away my failure. No more.

I think the urges are coming from the stress related to my final. I have to do it either today or tomorrow, but I decided upon today since otherwise my stress will just build and I’ll waste the whole day thinking I need to study more.

So I think the most important thing is to get started on this final as soon as possible. If I focus on fixing the problem, that will fix my stress. If I avoid it, I will look to medicate it.

2 Likes

Day 2, Late Evening - June 17, 2020

Still having urges right now, been having them. I’ve been working through my assignments before I start the exam, but I think the worry about doing well is getting to me. At the very least though, I think my grade could easily handle a sufficient failure on this exam. But getting out of the mindset of worry is difficult.

I’ve thought again of my reasons for doing this. And spent some time reading in the forums. Because I desperately want to relapse and I desperately want to be clean.

But I have to remind myself again, if I truly want to change, if I truly want to see my future brighten, if I truly want to be clean, and mentally healthy, then I have to be all in on this. Otherwise what’s the point? If I don’t try to my fullest ability, then why did I start trying at all? Because this addiction, any addiction really, takes truly caring, truly disciplining yourself, and truly taking all of the necessary steps to ensure you don’t go back. If I’m not willing to do that, if I’m not willing to take some time out of my day to ensure I don’t go down the rabbit hole, then what am I doing? If I don’t actively try to repel and dismantle the negative thoughts in my head, then what am I doing?

I want this, I know I want this, I’ve always wanted this. So then why am I letting myself go the other way? Commitment, mental commitment, is highly important. I can say I am committed, but where’s my heart? I can tell all of you I’m committed, I can make it sound really good too, really passionate. But if my heart and my mind aren’t committed, then where does that get me? What’s the point?

I have to journal, I have to seek knowledge, motivation, and better choices. Not out of obligation to some vague rule I made to a different part of me. No, I have to do it out of a pure and forthright commitment from my soul. A commitment to truly wanting and making the effort to change. Otherwise I will literally go nowhere. If I’m not all in this fight, then I will never win. The greatest of enemies needs the greatest of leaders to beat. I have to lead myself, I can’t let myself be led by whatever happens to be the strongest emotional force in my brain at the time.

I have to do this, “I” as in all of me, “I” as in my spirit, my very will to survive and thrive. It has to be me. Externalizing my responsibility, or externalizing on an internal basis to another part of me, that will only bring me down. Quite easily actually. I can’t tell myself, “well oh yeah that one part of me wants to be clean, but you know, right now, I’m feeling this way, so I’m going to do different. He can clean it up later.” That’s externalizing my responsibility within an internal setting, something I’ve realized I’ve been doing a lot. I’m not bringing all sides of me to a consensus on what we should and have to be doing here. Because this isn’t going to change if all aren’t in agreement.

I have to truly want this, and want this I do.

Here’s another point I’ve come to re-realize since my big success and relapse. Writing truly is the greatest tool we have in this fight. Why? Because it allows us to see what’s truly going on in our brain. Now obviously a tool is only as good as how well it is utilized, however, once it is utilized effectively, once a concious, concerted effort is made to write out the inner-workings of our thoughts, we start to see real change.

And it’s not only identifying our current thoughts in writing, but it’s also realizing our truest desires and wants into physical form. To visually manifest something can really tear down oppressive power and instead bring enlightening power to that which is good. It’s the nature of writing truly about ourselves, and not taking any shortcuts, that brings out the best. If we shortcut ourselves though, then we will find the writing is powerless, it’s boring, it’s slow, and it’s unfruitful. But digging deep into ourselves while we write, that’s truly empowering.

Anyway, just another thought. It really is remarkable to me. It’s so easy to forget what this means. And I don’t mean intellectually. In my memory, I knew as a fact that writing was important due to my earlier success with it. But I had forgotten it’s physical, emotional, and mental sense. I had forgotten how it really is to get to the truth in writing, and get lost in understanding the thoughts in our head and our reasoning for them. It’s really amazing, but so easy to lose touch with if we don’t create a habit of it.

1 Like

Day 4, Afternoon - June 20, 2020

Yesterday I didn’t journal or check in, but all was well. However, at the end of the day I realized I got nothing done. I had literally sat around for several hours. That’s where journaling becomes very important.

Today was a bit more of wreck. I haven’t focused well today and it’s alright 2:04 pm and I haven’t gotten anything done. Not good. On top of that I avoided my daily journal and ended up edging a lot. Bad bad bad. I didn’t relapse though. And I was questioning this, because obviously edging is a slippery slope, and the majority of the time it leads to relapse, if not today, then tomorrow. However, relapsing is still worse, and I shouldn’t use the slippery slope analogy as a cop out for relapsing. Sure, mostly likely I’ll probably relapse within the next several days, but I’m not about to give up, and I sure as hell will give it my best shot.

Now if I think climbing back up a muddy hill, after almost sliding off the cliff, is going to be easy, well I have another thing coming. It’s going to take a large amount of dedication to my strategies. But here’s comes those thoughts again, I realize I’m speaking but not truly thinking. I’m saying what I should say, but I know there’s a piece of me, a large piece of me still holding onto the prospect of relapsing. It almost had it, and now it wants it more. Yes, it’s definitely going to take a lot to not relapse in the next several days.

But man, relapsing is just so terrible. Look at me, almost at 5 days, that’s a real accomplishment as of my recent history. It brings me down this terrible, dark pit of despair. Inescapable, nothing I do makes it better, only time and being clean. But the wait is very miserable. I like being happy, I like being where I am now. Productive and in-line with my morals. That’s a great feeling. How can one little pleasurable moment be worth the terrible suffering. It’s not.

Now, I need to get productive, get stuff done today. I might be back for another journal if needed.

1 Like