Reading The Lord of the Rings to keep motivated

LOTR%20(1)

Today I’m going to buy an English version of the The Lord of The Rings. At present I’m reading an Italian version ( as is my language ) but I like to have the possibility to compare passages and maybe read the book in English instead.

Thanks friends for your support it’s really helping @anon67854825 @BorisKw @ncubeanelem @pierretomas18 @hellojaani @shern @srubio @wanttobreakfree @RecoverPeace

“Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible, and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

10 Likes

I’m at the beginning of Chapter Six - Book One - Going into The Old Forest.

“Frodo began to feel restless, and the old paths seemed too well-trodden. He looked at maps, and wondered what lay beyond their edges: maps made in the Shire showed mostly white spaces beyond its borders.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

“Sam was the only member of the party who had not been over the river before. He had a strange feeling as the slow gurgling stream slipped by: his old life lay behind in the mists, dark adventure lay in front.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

“Do not tempt me! For I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself”
Gandalf

3 Likes

prancingpony

Day 10 - I’m at the beginning of the ninth chapter of book One At the Sign of the Prancing Pony.

“You are right, Frodo,’ said Gandalf: ‘to go back is to admit defeat, and face worse defeat to come…”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

“But even now there is hope left. I will not give you counsel, saying do this or do that. for not in doing or contriving, nor in choosing between this course and another, can I avail; but only in knowing what was and is, and in part what shall be. But this I will say to you: your Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while all the Company is true.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

5 Likes

Day 14 - End of Book one - Flight to the Ford

“The great storm is coming, but the tide has turned.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

4 Likes

Day 19 - A Journey in the Dark fourth chapter of Book Two.

“And I fell into darkness and foul dreams, and woke and found that waking was worse.”

“Ah! The Ring!’ said Boromir, his eyes lighting. ‘The Ring! Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing?”
J.R.R. Tolkien

3 Likes

I admire your persistance @anon59699586, keep on going!

1 Like

Thank you brother. Peace :blush:

Listen to Summoning - Old Morning Dawn (Full álbum) while you’re Reading Tolkien, then you’ll be at Middle Earth

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion brother :+1::grinning:

I see that you are at 32 days now, @anon59699586. Congratulations :smiley: You’re well on your way to breaking my all time record. Keep going, but watch out for Gollum!

1 Like

I stopped reading at the moment but the streak it’s keep going :blush:

2 Likes

That’s like a man saying he’s walking around the world with nothing for sustenance but a small bottle of water, and then deciding not to drink the water! You are tough! Keep it up!