Reading The Lord of the Rings to keep motivated

My friend your words comes at the right time! Thank you! Today was my most difficult day. I had strong urges after 11 days of quiet time. We really need to have so much strength in this journey nothing is for only grace. We need to make the effort to persevere on the wise path. I’m so happy if you read this book too. It gives strength to know there are friends on the same story/book/journey. I like to read especially in the night too. Half or one chapter a day. Let me know how it goes. Peace.

4 Likes

Yes, the secret to success is not taking a single day off towards achieving your goal. The days when we get strong urges to relapse are “boss battles” that are designed to stop us from progressing to the next stage. I hope you “passed the test” (as Galadriel would say) of the strong urges you had today.

I shall let you know about my progress in reading LOTR as often as possible. My sharing code is 8beeb4. I’ve also taken note of your code, so I can follow your journey.

4 Likes

Thank you brother. Today I “passed the test” but the journey is still long and arduous. Welcome in the middle-earth. I’m happy I have a new friend.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

5 Likes

lotr

Today I’m beginning the first chapter of book three The Two Towers

“Everything. Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

6 Likes

Finish The Ride of the Rohirrim 2nd chapter in the first book of - The Two Towers

The Journey is becoming difficult. I’m on my 15th Days…

“we must first destroy the threat of Saruman, while we have time. If we fail, we fall. If we succeed – then we will face the next task. Meanwhile”
J.R.R. Tolkien

“Don’t trust your head, Samwise, it is not the best part of you.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

6 Likes

Keep up with the great work, it looks to work fantastic with you! Also remember that if you relapse, it will take all the specialness of this streak away, so keep it alive as long as you can and even more!

6 Likes

Thank you brother. I will. Thank you so much for your words of support. Sometimes I think to give up but the idea to go back to chapter one and day one make me going forward. Peace.

5 Likes

Day 20 - Today I’m beginning The King of the Golden Hall the sixth chapter of the first book of The Two Towers the second part of The Lord of the Rings.

“For still there are so many things that I have never seen: in every wood in every spring there is a different green. I sit beside the fire and think of people long ago, and people who will see a world that I shall never know.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

4 Likes

Friends at the "End of the road to Isengard " I failed.

25 Days journey. Nearly half way through the book.

I lost the battle.

Now I’m back to 0. Chapter 1. Book 1.

Thanks for all your help.

“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

6 Likes

25 days. You’ve come very far already, that’s something to be proud of. I’m following your diary with great interest :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you brother. It was more difficult than I thought. But yes I’m beginning again…

Now I will also underline all the passages that I like in the book.

“PIPPIN: I didn’t think it would end this way.

GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?

GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

PIPPIN: Well, that isn’t so bad.

GANDALF: No. No, it isn’t.”

3 Likes

Nice lines there! :wink::+1:

1 Like

the-lord-of-the-rings-hobbiton-movie-set-tour-from-auckland-including-in-auckland-336696

A Long-expected Party first chapter of the first book.

Yesterday I read the prologue again. I really enjoyed it. I feel even more in the story now.

I also got a big poster of the map of the middle earth and hang it on the wall of my room.

Let’s begin the journey again.

If you want to follow you are welcome my code is 82m98s

“Home is behind, the world ahead,
and there are many paths to tread
through shadows to the edge of night,
until the stars are all alight.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

3 Likes

What an excellent idea and choice of reading material. Quests, long journeys and battles are all pretty good analogies for a reboot. Hopefully it won’t be long before the pain at turning back to chapter 1 is enough to deter you from a relapse.

1 Like

Thank you brother. Hopefully this time I will make it till the end of the book. But the journey is long and full of battles. I learned to not underestimate the power of Sauron.

2 Likes

Awesome job man. I’m a big fan of lord of the rings and I wish you all the best. Keep the adventure alive.

1 Like

Thank you my friend I will. Happy to hear you love the story too. Wish you all the best brother!

“I feel I need a holiday, a very long holiday, as I have told you before. Probably a permanent holiday: I don’t expect I shall return. in fact, I don’t mean to, and I have made all arrangements…

I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. That can’t be right. I need a change, or something"

Bilbo Baggins - Lord of The Rings

2 Likes

I love to follow your journey through the books here. Really nice way to keep yourself motivated.

Someone pointed out that the journey, the battles, all that is a good analogy, and I agree. Especially the ring. It kind of represents something you try to get rid of, something that teases you as long as it is still there, that you know you shouldn’t even use once, that gets more likely to be used against good will in times of anxiety and danger and that will wear you out and consume you over time…it really parallels an addiction to some extent.
Then, look at Gollum who gave in and dedicates his life chasing after it.
Look at Bilbo, who carried and used it for a while, didn’t get occupied completely but still feels the influence over time.
And look at Frodo, who struggles to not make use of it and fights to destroy it in the end

3 Likes

Brother. I got goosebumps reading your words. Seriously. I completely agree with what you said!

1 Like