Any way to avoid chatting sites and social media?

This has been going through my mind since some days now. It’s been around 10 days I haven’t used social media and any random chatting website like emerald chat, etc. One of the reason being my exams which concluded on 5th of december.

I started reading a book named “atomic habits” and will also prepare for a highly competitive exam called “GATE” but the thing is given my current situation. I don’t have any close friend with whom I can share profesional and social things because now vacation is going on and we all are not physically connected and I have noticed they only contact me when they need something.

So I am sure maybe around 1-2 hrs a day I am prone to social media and chatting sites which can lead to distraction and triggering content.

So I wanted to ask the other people here what they will do if they are put into my shoes.

3 Likes

Back then I spent my times scrolling fb/utube.
But now i only use YouTube watching scary facts type videos, and i use only rc forum.
Don’t use any types of chatting apps without contacting the few people i know.

4 Likes

For the very first time I can relate to your post
The problem you are facing (I too face it sometimes) is called CAD communication addictive disorder where you are into a constant problem of sharing things talking to PPL be it random person u don’t know
One possible solution can be
Find a best frnd n stick only to tht person for sharing things
Read more books be busy
Write your thoughts whenever u feel like expressing hope it helps🤷🏻‍♀️

3 Likes

I didn’t wanted to share it but it’s been some good amount of time I have spent here and I know people here are positive so I am gonna say it anyways.

The thing is one of my close friendship ended last year and since then it has been very difficult for me to find IRL best friend.

Just some casual friends IRL with whom I share casual things. Nothing much deep until I met a nice girl online and we have already shared a lot of things. But we talk on a weekly basis not daily.

3 Likes

Oh I see. Is there anyone whom you can share close things? Like some secrets or something?

3 Likes

As simple as it may sound. With the amount of activities I have in mind to improve oneself, I guess engaging in it is much better to go on online sites for meaningless material talks where girls show themselves half naked and boys are horny always.

3 Likes

Nope. No one.
I Don’t have anyone like this…

3 Likes

I dont know any exact solution to this. But I am just writing this since you mentioned you’re looking for gate. Though I am an EC student , I am planning to write EE as my secondary paper.

Could we be accountability patners for GATE ? Maybe that can help you deal with your distractions too.

4 Likes

That would be great. I don’t know about your preparation level but I haven’t started preparing. Just that I study for college exams which are atleast 2 notches below gate level I know that.

But I did see PYQs and I guess there are some sections that are not too difficult and can be prepared in less amount of time.

Can you tell me if you are in 3rd year or 4th year?

3 Likes

4th year. How about you ?

3 Likes

I am also in same level bro. The only progress I’ve made is studying some non technical questions and some subjects I’ve learnt in 2nd year. After that I had a huge gap. With some projects associated with 4th year. After that I’ve lost track.

3 Likes

I am in 3rd year so it’s my first attempt.

3 Likes

Is this your first attempt?

3 Likes

I don’t know any chatting sites. Do you mean dating sites ? Or sites like discord ?

I am using social media for social media marketing and digital marketing.

3 Likes

Yes. I could have started in my 3rd year but those time I was fully focused on getting a job ( some campus recruitments happened that time ) . Then some political shit happened in college which reduced recruitments to half.

Then I planned to shift my priority to GATE. I can say if you start to study GATE seriously , you get get into IIT’s in your 2nd attempt ( or maybe in your 1st attempt , cant say )

2 Likes

Man but how is it possible to get a placement in 6th semester? I think it’s almost impossible unless you have something truly outstanding in your CV.

WELL I guess one year is enough to secure a place in IIT if the preparation is serious and realistic. But I want to earn first and then I want to think about higher studies, today only I said that to one of my professor when he asked me about my future plans.

4 Likes

No, sites similar to Omegle. Omegle got shut down btw.

2 Likes

Idk. It was like the end of Sem 6. I came to know Reliance company is coming in our college with a package of 75 lakh per annum. I thought if I can get that job. It would be kickstart my life. Sadly it didnt happen .

Also I am in an autonomous college and we were the first batch there. Our seniors left long ago . Maybe thats why.

My academics is nothing impressive except I got into some internship and participated in IEEE programs.

3 Likes

Man it’s still better than mine. Only thing is you are one year senior to me.

1 Like

You might have done JEE or NEET repeat dont you ? Because we are of same age.

2 Likes