Quotes from Everywhere

QUOTES FROM ALBERT CAMUS’ MAGNUM OPUS - THE MYTH OF SISYPHUS

1. “In order to understand the world, one has to turn away from it on occasion."
  2. “Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable.”
  3. “Man is always prey to his truths. Once he has admitted them, he cannot free himself from them.”
  4. “What is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying.”
  5. “There is scarcely any passion without struggle.”
  6. “I know simply that the sky will last longer than I.”
  7. “Man stands face to face with the irrational. He feels within him his longing for happiness and for reason. The absurd is born of this confrontation between the human need and the unreasonable silence of the world.”
  8. “The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”
  9. “A man devoid of hope and conscious of being so has ceased to belong to the future.”
  10. “A man is more a man through the things he keeps to himself than through those he says.”
  11. “A man wants to earn money in order to be happy, and his whole effort and the best of a life are devoted to the earning of that money. Happiness is forgotten; the means are taken for the end.”
  12. “This very heart which is mine will forever remain indefinable to me. Between the certainty I have of my existence and the content I try to give to that assurance, the gap will never be filled. Forever I shall be a stranger to myself.”
  13. “Likewise and during every day of an unillustrious life, time carries us. But a moment always comes when we have to carry it. We live on the future: “tomorrow,” “later on,” “when you have made your way,” “you will understand when you are old enough.” Such irrelevancies are wonderful, for, after all, it’s a matter of dying. Yet a day comes when a man notices or says that he is thirty. Thus he asserts his youth. But simultaneously he situates himself in relation to time. He takes his place in it. He admits that he stands at a certain point on a curve that he acknowledges having to travel to its end. He belongs to time, and by the horror that seizes him, he recognizes his worst enemy. Tomorrow, he was longing for tomorrow, whereas everything in him ought to reject it. That revolt of the flesh is the absurd.”
  14. “From the moment absurdity is recognized, it becomes a passion, the most harrowing of all. But whether or not one can live with one’s passions, whether or not one can accept their law, which is to burn the heart they simultaneously exalt - that is the whole question.”
  15. “Man cannot do without beauty, and this is what our era pretends to want to disregard.”
  16. “Creating is living doubly. The groping, anxious quest of a Proust, his meticulous collecting of flowers, of wallpapers, and of anxieties, signifies nothing else.”
  17. “Beginning to think is beginning to be undermined. Society has but little connection with such beginnings. The worm is in man’s heart. That is where it must be sought. One must follow and understand this fatal game that leads from lucidity in the face of existence to flight from light.”
  18. “There is no longer a single idea explaining everything, but an infinite number of essences giving a meaning to an infinite number of objects. The world comes to a stop, but also lights up.”
  19. “The human heart has a tiresome tendency to label as fate only what crushes it. But happiness likewise, in its way, is without reason, since it is inevitable.”
  20. “Like great works, deep feelings always mean more than they are conscious of saying.”
4 Likes

“Discipline for me is about respect. It’s not even about self-respect; it’s about respect for life and all it offers”
-Robert Downey Jr

7 Likes

The more we value things outside our control, the less control we have.

When someone is properly grounded in life, they shouldn’t have to look outside themselves for approval.

There is no shame in making an honest effort.

Keep the prospect of death, exile and all such apparent tragedies before you every day – especially death – and you will never have an abject thought, or desire anything to excess.

You should be especially careful when associating with one of your former friends or acquaintances not to sink to their level; otherwise you will lose yourself. If you are troubled by the idea that ‘He’ll think I’m boring and won’t treat me the way he used to,’ remember that everything comes at a price. It isn’t possible to change your behavior and still be the same person you were before.

People with a strong physical constitution can tolerate extremes of hot and cold; people of strong mental health can handle anger, grief, joy and the other emotions.

Don’t seek that all that comes about should come about as you wish, but wish that everything that comes about should come about just as it does, and then you’ll have a calm and happy life.

Remember from now on whenever something tends to make you unhappy, draw on this principle: 'This is no misfortune; but bearing with it bravely is a blessing.

Nothing great comes into being all at once, for that is not the case even with a bunch of grapes or a fig. If you tell me now, ‘I want a fig,’ I’ll reply, ‘That takes time.

The knowledge of what is mine and what is not mine, what I can and cannot do. I must die. But must I die bawling? I must be exiled; but is there anything to keep me from going with a smile, calm and self-composed?

If you wish it, you are free; if you wish it, you’ll find fault with no one, you’ll cast blame on no one, and everything that comes about will do so in accordance with your own will and that of God.

Epictetus, [Discourses and Selected Writings]

3 Likes

Live today like it’s your first and last; like it’s your first so you enjoy it, like it’s your last so you make the most of it.

4 Likes
1 Like

“A real decision is measured by the fact that you’ve taken a new action. If there’s no action, you haven’t truly decided.”
—Rewire Companion user

3 Likes

“It’s so sad that when you see someone as they really are, it ruins them.”- 𝘉𝘰𝘫𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘏𝘰𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘮𝘢𝘯

1 Like

DESIDERATA - POEM : BY MAX EHRMANN

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

• Max Ehrmann ©1927
3 Likes

“Life, is like a piano.
The white keys represent happiness, the black keys represent sadness.
But as you go through life’s journey,
You realize that the black keys also make music.”

— Ehssan

6 Likes

There’s a typo bro ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

1 Like

But you must say, it was a poetic typo. Some lines when wrong strike a more prominent note in the eternal melody of life. ‘The White keys represent happiness. The White keys represent sadness.’ Isn’t this more equal, less racial and so sublime. The very source of sadness is the wish for happiness. The very source of happiness is the understanding of sadness. The white is empty of colour and boring and sad, until it recognises itself as a colour on its own, which is peaceful and blank, representing enormous opportunities. Isn’t black, the inverse of white in imagination. The black is lesser white, it is still somewhat white, at least where the morning rays of sun strike it from the slits of curtain of the window. Timing, perspective and belief, changes the very realities of existence.

4 Likes

Damn bro :neutral_face:
that was indeed very deep and poetic .
I find thoughts and perceptions like this , quite moving and thoughtful .

4 Likes
2 Likes

" I dont care whether I believe in myself or not . I just do my work anyway "

-My Mom

2 Likes

It’s hard to find Love, but it’s easy to satisfy your Lust. Love >>>>Lust !
~ Sholt_Tenkerrot

1 Like

:saluting_face: every mom’s inner voice!

1 Like

This was one of my savage reply of my mom 2 years ago , When I was giving her a motivational speech of Believe in Yourself after watching a motivational video :sweat_smile:

1 Like