"Check-in" Daily - diary challenge

Week 4 - Tues, April 7, 2020 - Streak: 4 days

@anon67854825 haha it’s all good man, I mostly just write for myself anyway, just need to get stuff out on “paper” so that I can really think about it.

@MindfullyFree

Of course man! We have to remember not to be ashamed of this addiction, shame only feeds it more. There’s nothing inhuman about addiction, it’s our very weakness that reminds us of who we are and what we are fighting for, that we are still human. And in remembering that we are human, we know we have the power to change our life for the better.

Exactly man, it’s that misunderstanding of ourselves that is the real problem here. I was thinking of a good analogy to this, it’s a lot like a big project for school. You know when you first start and everything just seems so overwhelming, there’s so many components and requirements and you’re not really sure even where to start or how to ever reach them. That’s a lot like our emotions and this addiction. Everything can overwhelm us so much so that we tend to just give up and procrastinate our recovery. Just like with a project. That assignment is just too damn daunting, why not play some video games?

And of course, that’s why teachers and professors always tell us, to not much avail, that you should always break down your projects into manageable chunks. Before you even begin, start writing down how this is all going to go down. Start at one requirement, and work your way through one at a time. Until all of a sudden, everything seems fairly straightforward. That’s when it’s best to start working. The problem is that many students waste their energy trying to force themselves to work on something they don’t fully understand. And so not only do they not get anything completed, what they do have looks really quite terrible.

It’s the same thing with this addiction and our emotions. A lot of times, fapstronauts will try to force themselves at this addiction, thinking brute force and sheer will will somehow get them through (same thing with reliance on avoidance activities like exercise btw). But this never works of course, maybe they got somewhere, but it wasn’t much, and they didn’t actually get to the root of the problem. They merely just avoided it while focusing at it. Much like we might force ourselves to stare at our computer screen for 2 hours trying to complete the assignment, while doing everything but.

So how do we break down our assignment of beating this addiction? Simply by breaking down our emotions into sizable chunks. Bite-sized, manageable. Something that won’t overwhelm us. And that is always best achieved through writing. Starting wherever you are, however your feeling. Maybe you feel nothing. Great, start there. Write that. Why do you feel that way? Go deeper, and eventually you’ll find you’ve worked through the whole problem and the urge is gone. Because you have learned to manage it, instead of letting a dopamine high manage it for you.

Okay, not sure why I wrote all that, I think part of it was for myself to be honest :joy:, had to get out my thoughts. I know you know this stuff as well as I do, but hopefully that at least gives you a bit of motivation.

Very true brother, I’ll get on it definitely. I don’t want to regret not taking the little bit of time out of my day to speak with him. He’s all alone now that grandma died, so I’m sure he could use the company.

Definitely bro. Yes a consistent schedule is the most important thing here!

Good day today. No urges, went exploring a little, got some skateboarding in, found an abandoned workshop which was pretty cool.

Getting to bed earlier tonight. Which is definitely good. But the forums always take a lot of my time and make it later. Maybe I should try replying to others earlier in the day, save it, then finish my own journal at night. I think that sounds like a good idea.

Alright, anyway, better get to sleep. Goodnight guys :zzz:

3 Likes

Day 44. Check in. “A warrior’s most effective weapon is patience.”

4 Likes

I made it to day to but not further. This is SO hard.

In my prayers of repentance I hear the Spirit say, “repent, and do the former things you did at first.”

This isn’t a quick process but it’s a journey in and a journey out.

Not giving up.
Day Zero
Please pray for me
Sending love

@Gk-00 @anon67854825

4 Likes

Week 4 - Wed, April 9, 2020 - Streak: 5 days

Into bed on time tonight! Finally. Feeling good. Got a good amount of work done today, got some exercise, and worked on music stuff.

I decided not to play online with my cousins tonight, which was a good move, and kept me on schedule tonight. Think I’m going to do that for tomorrow as well.

Pretty big urges today, but I held strong, remembering you guys. I was trying to decipher what was causing me to feel like I wanted to relapse. I’m thinking its this week’s assignments, just a lot to do, don’t like leaving it for tomorrow. But oh well, I’ll get it done. Really need to get back in the habit of writing it down when I get urges, it has to be priority, even when I feel like I’m busy.

Anyway, goodnight guys :zzz:

5 Likes

Day 45. Check in.

5 Likes

Day 4
Obviously cravings are there how they cant be. Doing Ok

5 Likes

Wednesday / Thursday

@Forodwaith @Gk-00
@Rebooter81 @Forerunner
How are you guys?

I’m all good,… But I fell :pray:
Thanks be to God :pray:

3 Likes

I’m doing alright. Almost to day 1

3 Likes

Week 4 - Thurs, April 9, 2020 - Streak: 0 days

Relapse. It’s interesting. I’m definitely using a direct wire from stress to PMO right now. I was getting flustered by my work today, and I started to edge subconsciously. Which eventually moved to concious edging. The problem is, is I’m not cutting in between. I am definitely aware of what I’m doing. But the voice of reason is quiet. Very quiet. And that’s the problem. There’s no huge motivator that comes and cuts through and reminds me to take the other path. I need something like that.

Maybe that something is putting a rock in my pocket again? Could help possibly, couldn’t hurt. But I need something more solid. Maybe that’s just spending more time on the forum. I’ve gotten very accustomed to browsing Instagram and other useless medias lately. Instead, let’s turn that habit into coming here on the forum. I think the biggest problem with that is that often I have feelings of obligation associated with that. In the sense that, if I come into the forums, I will feel like I need to reply to everyone. But I can’t let that feeling and negative association get in the way of reminding myself daily of my goals. So instead, unless it’s during my daily check in, I am allowing myself to browse the forums and soak up the motivation without responding, just passively taking in.

Maybe in the future I’ll change that, but if that’s what I need to get me back on, then so be it.

I hope you guys are holding out as well. This is all about learning. If we relapse, make it worth it, learn from it. Truly learn from it.

Anyway, goodnight guys :zzz:

3 Likes

Check-in.
Day 5. All well! Productive!
Sorry for the black out suddenly. My family isn’t giving me anytime alone in this lockdown. :ok_man:t2:

@anon67854825
It’s okay brother. You did well this time! I’m sure you’ll go all the way now!

@Special_Bird

Bro, whenever you’re stressed, do you feel like ‘switching off’ your mind & just drifting away into all these media around? You mentioned Instagram, maybe it’s YouTube too.
At first you are confident that you won’t relapse. But the more time you give in, the more ‘mindless’ you get. These media are designed that way. Bright colors, click baits, triggers, memes, songs, etc. all jumbled up in a mass.
It literally shuts of your ability to think. ‘the voice’ that you’re talking about here. Making decisions will seem tough. I suggest you practice digital minimalism for the first 90 days of Nofap. Like I’m doing.
Even though I still watch YouTube, I’ve quit instagram, even though my girlfriend insists I join.
I’ve put limits on YouTube too. Every time I open the app, I put a timer on (10 minutes) to remind to snap me back into reality again & again.
With every ring, I decide whether to go another round or stop right there with mindfulness.
Have you tried meditation yet? Headspace? It’s really a big help. If your source of mindfulness is only through reading or journaling, then I think that won’t really work when you’re stressed.
Meditation is the best place to go to when stressed.
Doesn’t matter what kind of stress.
Once you master it. You can practice it again & again anytime during the day to experience mindfulness in seconds. So that you can make decisions, & even walk out of such subconcious behaviours.

The reason why you started edging consciously was because you were already filled in with guilt because of all that streaming & unconscious edging. Right?
That’s totally wrong. A subconscious behaviour is forgivable. You could’ve confessed on the forum or your journal & got away with it.

And yes! Come to the forums! You don’t have to reply. It’s not an obligation. The Media tab in the ‘Urge’ button is a brilliant feature too!
I still recommend meditation. It’s just 10 minutes. Do it atleast once a day. There is no right or wrong way of doing it. Just keep showing up to it. & Whenever you feel like you’re about to go mindless or ‘shut down mode’. Meditation is the go to. Before journaling or forum or anything else.

Instagram & all the media isn’t relaxation brother. You don’t feel relieved. It’s stimulation. You seek more of it. Which will make you go mindless soon.
What you need is either meditaion. Or take a book! Like a simple novel!
Or just walk when you’re tired. Listen to music while you do that. It helps alot!

Or you can do this too.
Unsubscribe to all channels on YouTube. And then subscribe all the other channels only related to productivity. There are tons of them!
Like ‘Thomas frank’, ‘Better ideas’, ‘Universal Man’, ‘TED’, ‘Daniel Alley’, ‘Goal Guys’.
Then these & other productivity related content will come on the recommendation. Watch a few, & it becomes a nice habit!

But yes. Please quit instagram. It’s just a harmful platform. There’s nothing but stimulation there.

This might help a little. But I nudge you to be ‘active’. Just push yourself. It’s all about discipline. Meditate. Really. How hard can 10 minutes be?

Rise again brother! :sunny:
You’ll make it!

I’ll reply to your other post tomorrow bro. I’ve been writing for long! :sweat_smile:

I’m back at being productive again after two days of sluggishness. Ahh! Sleep management is really hard. But I’ve got some grip now.

“You’re never going to feel like it. So don’t wait. Just push yourself!”

7 Likes

@anon67854825 Thanks for tagging me brother
:pray: I’m sorry to hear that you fell. I’m really proud of you man, keep fighting the good fight. You will overcome!

As for me, I fell myself this week. I’m rebuilding myself again. Binging on PMO after 10 months is very damaging to the soul. I couldn’t stop crying.

I’m going back to basics again. I have to make mental purity a habit once more. Focus on improving my life. Progress spiritually, get back into exercise and a healthy diet, build my career and education etc.

I’ve gone too far to become a chronic addict again. We all have. That life is dead to us, the only way is forward.

8 Likes

Friday, April 10

@anon67854825 @Forodwaith

I’ve been relapsing again every day since last Sunday. Need to come back, I don’t want to keep going like this!

I need to stay closer to this forum, it was useful to post more often, it kept me on the right track.

New start, hoping to find more energy to keep going now!

Let’s have a good and positive weekend :muscle:

4 Likes

Day 46. Check in. I had a nightfall but I will not give up because of that🤘.

4 Likes

Friday 10th April

Hey @Rohitash how are you?

@Forodwaith @Gk-00 @Rebooter81

Thanks @Forerunner likewise :pray: always.
Any tricks, tactics, distractions that are enjoyable for this journey/choice, are/will be good aid.

Though it’s dwindled, the frag thing really helped me in the very recent. But I recently bought Nikos Sculpture Homme, a real cheapie, £15 - now waiting for it to arrive.

“The perfume is quite unusual, just like the version for women, and it is really difficult to sort it into one category. The fragrance is very sensual, with a scent of light, moderate sweetness, fresh opening and an aromatic heart. The top notes contain bergamot, lemon, mandarin and orange blossom. The heart encompasses cedar, balmy notes of Tonka bean, ambergris and benzoin. Its bottle is shaped like a sail, in accordance with the designer’s idea. The fragrance is aimed at reminding you of Mediterranean wind and a slow seaside walk and was created in 1995. The nose behind this fragrance is Michel Almairac”

Art is to be enjoyed, not to be utilised.

Since the outbreak of the virus, I’ve begun to realise I prefer a phone conversation rather than msg. With PC/msg/txt-mind, I go inward, even writing to my Mum - it can be difficult.
Philosophy can take you so far to the compromise of something else - for me, namely communication.
A call on the phone; we’re presently engaging with life. Life is an unfolding dialogue where our ideas are only a fraction.

Like with art, if we’re just here to utilise everything - where is it we’re going?

It’s what I’ve been doing for so long.
We prefer txt because it’s quicker(?) easier(?)
Because people are busy - a txt gives space.
_'I don’t we wish to disturb (fear)… I should be busy (sin of worldly ways/standards)

A good friend I chatted with put it like this.
“if you’re not busy = you are lazy…
And God hates lazy people. God hates you”

At a subconscious level, I’ve bought into that idea.

“How did we get so busy?” - Finding Sanctuary by Abbot Jamison" something I read a long time ago. (Monastic steps for everyday life)

A phone call is direct, mutual, an invite for our subconscious to ‘be’

A phone call is like a nice wash in the shower.
It’s cleansing and a release.

I can’t put words into right sense an order at the moment, but I can understand my thoughts.

Lord, help me to be well rounded and balanced.

Truly, truly, with God, we ARE saved - there’s nothing to do, except run back to Him like a child.

Day 1 can be more profound than Day 101
Day 50 onwards for me was a downfall, I don’t feel like I’ve fallen far,… but neither do I feel like I’m at a profound, moving, spiritual Day 1 - but that’s all good :pray::wink: Thanks be to God.

Through all of our wins/loses, our failings and our striving and acts of kindness, God is good and faithful :pray:

5 Likes

Week 4 - Fri, April 10, 2020 - Streak: 1 day

@MindfullyFree Definitely I feel that man! Yes when I was in high school, I felt these feeling of mindlessness with videogames, as I never really got into social media until recently. But I hated it and I felt it made me lazy and led me to relapse. I played them all the time, every bit of free time I had was spent in my room playing videogames. When I became a Christian, I realized the problem it was presenting and cut them out of my life for 6 months. At first it was difficult, and I didn’t know what to do with my time, but then it got easier and I enjoyed it. In fact, I felt so much more free and happy! And I wasn’t as irritable as I used to be. I spent time with my family and did productive activities, got outside with my friends, and enjoyed things.

Now eventually, I started playing videogames again, but it wasn’t the same. I didn’t really enjoy them as much, and it was easy to limit my time to an hour a day. Nowadays, I might have an urge to play a certain game, get on for 30 minutes, then get bored. I’ve naturally chosen living life in other ways than videogames because I got a taste of life without it.

At first when you wrote this, I thought, “eh I know what you’re saying, but I don’t feel like social media is that big of a time sink for me.” But to be honest. Now that I think about, I spend at least a total of an hour of my day on social media over the course of the day. Honestly that’s too much. But it’s more than that, you’ve made me think about this deeper. And I’ve realized I’ve kind of become obsessed with my image because of social media, specifically Instagram, mostly only Instagram. I’ve always been kind of that loser, someone no one wanted to hang out with. And maybe social media is exploiting those old feelings of mine. Or maybe, more correctly, I’m holding onto those old feelings by trying to look better on social media than I was in high school. Like I’m actually worth something.

But the reality is, is that I am worth something. My worth isn’t determined by who likes my posts. But Instagram isn’t helping me move on. Thank you for pointing Instagram out brother, I really think I’m going to restrict this app. If I take a break from it for a good while, I think this would really help me remind myself that my life isn’t about what others think of me.

Aside from that, yes meditation is great! Before I left the forum, I had started Headspace as you suggested, and I really grew to like it. But eventually I stopped. I guess I just got busy, but I definitely need to get back into that. I want that to be a part of this next step in my journey definitely.

I appreciate your straightforwardness brother, it always reminds me to take a deeper look at myself :relieved:

As for today, very successful! I started to have the same old edging urges as before, and I almost just let it go, but then I reminded myself “No! I need to journal!” And I got on my notes app and started writing. I think I can attribute having the willpower to do this to getting on the forum this morning. Even browsing it a little kept my values in the back of my mind.

Anyway, so I started journaling, and realized exactly what was causing my urges. It was foolish and easy to resist after I got in sync with what truly matters to me.

Of course, the urges didn’t go away throughout the day. Even now, they are present. And I almost started to edge again, but I held back. I reminded myself that it is like a bug-bite, I can’t itch it, it will only get worse. I just kept reminding myself that this is not the medicine I need. No matter what it tells me, this is not the medicine I need.

So today was good. And I’m getting to bed on time today! Even earlier than yesterday. And I got all my pull ups done.

Stay strong, stay mindful boys, we’ll get through this. Never stop learning, always look deeper.

Goodnight :zzz:

5 Likes

Back to 0 again.

I don’t know what to write but I noticed two important point

Stay away from certain things on Twitter and watching mindless things on pc while phone charging.

I am avoiding both things now. & I am clean since 21 hours :grinning:

4 Likes

Day 47. Check in. May God will give us enormous power to fight this battle😃.

5 Likes

Okay guyz again I relapsed. After achieve 333 days streak few months ago. I don’t know what’s happening. I have experience but I am losing somewhere.

This time I made mistakes of forgot to delete video on my sb which last time made me relapse.

My worst fetish came back and it’s eating me out.

I have now noted 3 important points

I am clean since 2 hours let’s see what happens next

4 Likes

Saturday 11th Check-in! :+1: I relapsed today :pray:

I feel closer to a real Day 1 - and it feels good.
Emotional, sorrowful not of shame for the action, but for loss, lack, the avoidance of that divine relationship - left wanting God alone :pray:
It’s a good place :pray:

Spirituality, excercise, relationships, love, kindness, charity, diligence, honour, dignity, integrity

Narrow is the gate, few find it.
Why wouldn’t anyone want to search for it?

It is always Day 1, regardless of what the counter says.

@Forodwaith @Gk-00
@Forerunner @Rebooter81

It’s good to have you back @weir :wink::+1::pray:

6 Likes

Hey bro doing good…thanks…hope u too doing good…I fell (relapsed) several times but nw able to gain strength and make it to complete 5 days…all glory to God

3 Likes