(21M) Recovery Diary from 6 year PMO addiction

Im J. I discovered ■■■■ at 15 and its been a rough journey. It slowly eating away at my life. I want to change.

4 Likes

RE: My Intro + Thoughts on Addiction

Alias: J
■■■■ Usage: 6 years

This was a reply to someone on the @General Discussion Chat. Im pasting it here cus it encapsulates my thoughts on addiction. A reference for future discussions :open_file_folder: :memo: :computer:

I disagree with you. This way of thinking is destructive and will not help others recover. Its very bad, and is one of the reasons why people with addictions don’t recover.

People with real addictions arent ‘snowflakes’ or ‘pussies’. Addiction is a complex process which takes over the mind and our habits. Habits are potent because they are formed in the most primitive evolutionary part of our brain; the basal ganglia. Over 40% of the actions we do daily are; habitual.

Globally, addictions like drug and alcohol abuse combined cause almost 500 000k deaths man. That was 2017 too, before the pandemic. Deaths due to addiction are much higher now. And thats deaths alone. People fighting alcohol and drug addiction actively? 30 million. I suspect the ■■■■ addiction number is much bigger.

Now do you really think that out of all the millions with addiction problems…that theyre ALL pussies, idiots, snowflakes? Robert Downey Junior battled cocaine (he was even high on set for Iron Man 1 apparently). Terry Crews battled ■■■■ (it even jeoparidzed his marriage).

These 2 ppl ive just listed are GOATs. And lets not forget the tens of thousands of war veterans globally who have nothing to turn to for solace, other than the warm deceitful carress of an addiction. Be it drugs or alcohol or ■■■■.

Doctors too suffer immense alcohol addictions. It is common for healthcare professionals (especially in ER) to stash alcohol or cannabis and take small doses during their shifts…to cope with the stress. I have seen this with my own eyes.

Do you fr think all of these millions of people and professions ive just listed are ’pussies’? I think that is extremely arrogant of you to say. Mind you, addiction plagues even the most successful people; RDJ is more successful than any of us probably will ever be.

My point is, addiction is not a moral or willpower failing. It is a complex psychological process thats deeply related to one’s psyche and trauma. Insulting people and telling them to do pushups isnt the fix. Its much deeper than all these motivational junkies say it is. Addiction is a symptom not a disease. People have addictions and bond to substances because of so many factors. It can be a traumatic life, physical or emotional, stress, loneliness etc.

People use addictions to cope with what would otherwise be an unbearble life. The chemical part of addiction is very overrated (take smoking; the chemical hook of nicotine disappears after 7days….yet many smokers relapse after the drugs has disappeared from their blood…because addictions are more complex than willpower or chemicals !)

By calling people who falter and struggle and relapse with their adictions as ‘pussies’ and picking fights on this forum, you arent helping anyone. Same advice goes to everyone who is non-constructive. The majority of us are men here; all different countries and walks of life. Lets support each other. Being critical is good, but theres a difference btw being stern vs being a dickhead.

Its so easy to put down others. But a real man only compares to himself, and raises and inspires others

1 Like

RE: ChatGPT Prompt to Analyze your Addictions and Behaviour Patterns

Made a ChatGPT prompt that turns the chat into a psychologist. It helped me debunk my behaviours and make contingency plans so my productivity is more long term and i can relapse less. Hope this helps

:green_square: :robot:

“Imagine you’re a skilled psychologist and someone has come to you seeking help to understand their behavior and thought patterns. Engage in a conversation where you ask questions to gather their history and experiences. You as chatgpt are required to take history from the user who will type in the chatbox. Ask the user multiple questions, not just one. Make the questions come one at a time, and succint so the majority of users can reply and are not confused. The questions are in bullet points for ease of answering. Then, provide them with an insightful analysis of their behavior, motivations, and potential factors influencing their mindset. Start by asking what is their main problem bothering them. It is usually something along the lines of addiciton, coping and productivity”

2 Likes

RE: Small Victories , Small Defeats @GOVIND-19

Was browsing when I read this great analogy from @GOVIND-19 about the importance of persistence and not giving in to small losses; because they only snowball

You’re slowly chipping away at your will power. The more you do this, the thinner the line gets between whether relapse worth it or not.

I’ll give an analogy. Think of relapsing/pmo/lust as rain or a storm. And that you like rain and enjoy getting wet in the rain. And then you decide to stay dry, which is nofap. Best way to stay dry is to stay inside your house and close all windows and doors. As long as you are inside the house will everything shut, you will stay dry.

But then you start looking outside the window, you see the rain and it’s very tempting to just step outside. But you choose not to. You just keep looking outside the window because you’re still dry by doing that. But the more you look outside, the more tempted you get to step outside. This is like looking at nude pics or explicit content in general whatever that means to you and not jerking off.

Ok now say you get tempted and you open the window, you get a little wet due to the drizzle entering your house through the window. You are not wet completely, you just feeling a little bit of the rain. You still haven’t crossed the line and you’re still not drenched. So you stay there, you feel the cool breeze and you enjoy it. This is like sexting or edging let’s say. You’re acting up on the temptation. One window is sexting, the other window is edging etc. The more windows you open, the more drizzle enters your house and you get wet due to rain. The longer you continue to do this, the closer you get to becoming completely drenched. Sooner or later, you’ll reach a position where there is not much difference between staying in the house and going outside and getting drenched. Because you already opened so many windows and let the drizzle in and you already have been substantially wet.

This is when you’ll crack. You’ll analyse your situation and realise that you don’t have much to lose if you just go out and get drenched. You loose accountability. The value of staying in diminishes overtime.

The value of doing nofap diminishes over time, the more you explore the boundaries of allowed freedom within nofap. I hope what i said makes sense

3 Likes

Another great quote from @BrokenMonastics. Adding these quotes here so I can re-read them and share with others.

They say sex sells, and it does…
It also (■■■■/sex marketing)
Entices
Blinds
Enthralls
Captivates
Makes us obsessed
Limits our creativity
Isolates
Indoctrinates
Grooms

Inshort because of our human desires, not necessarily wrong, and the desire for money/power.

Sex has been weaponized against us.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

Goddamn i should write a book

1 Like

Haha true … I found it very similar to a book I read…

Bro you want to publish a book :open_book:

1 Like