Flowergirl26's Diary - I want to be a better person

The topic title should be like clear and concise. Eg. Rob’s Diary, Mark’s journey. And not like : My log, Day 2.
(Optional) Include your age and gender in the title. Eg -> [23 M] Rob’s Diary

Only one topic per user, if you want to add more entries in your diary, reply to your main topic rather creating a whole new topic for each entry.

3 Likes

So I’m a compulsive liar, and this is the last thing I like to admit to… I don’t know if I’m pathological, however there has been times I have believed my own lives and I feel like I can’t trust myself. I get if others can’t believe me, I’m always double checking what I can believe too. With that said I reeeeally want to prove I can be trustworthy, I’m sick of the shame and need to know that I can get better.

3 Likes

Hey… I replied to your other post.

You might want to read this… it addresses your question of whether you are a pathological liar and provides several other accurate insights into the problem:

https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/03/pathological_liars.html

I would once again recommend speaking to a good and qualified therapist, one who is knowledgeable about this subject.

My best wishes.

1 Like

Also please see the comment below to that article. It includes the article author’s response. I think it can help you.

Commentor: i think i am a pathological liar. i have no idea why i do it. my brother does it, my dad. for no reason at all. is there any way to stop?

Alone’s response: yes. Decide to stop. Pathological liars fill the void of their identity with words. If the words stop, then the identity is uncovered and subjected to scrutiny. You have to be brave enough to withstand that scrutiny.

It’s like a teenager, who hides in plain sight; who talks, dresses, acts in a manner he believes to be unique and independent, but which is so obviously common to everyone else in his group. It’s all made up, but he feels it as genuine. What matters is that others see and judge the clothes, the words-- so they don’t think to judge the person underneath.

2 Likes

That actually changed my perspective entirely… I’ve never liked for ego or any particular reason I can pinpoint. But it does feel like an identity issue where I want to feel like I’m “playing the part.”
I also appreciate how they explained that it’s not the stereotypical kind of lying others think it is. I never genuinely wanted to deceive anyone but the BS does seem to happen naturally. I grew up very lonely as a child and I had a vivid imagination where I wanted to pretend I experienced things to “pretend” my identity was complete.

2 Likes

I am glad you found it helpful and I am confident in you that you’ll move in the right direction. Lots of love and best wishes!

1 Like

Btw I grew up very lonely as a child too ( I was an only child and experienced isolation for other reasons as well), so that is a part I can relate to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update: So I finally confessed one of the biggest lies I ever told today. I confessed it to the one I liked and I built up the strength to finally do it. I’m still shocked I was actually strong enough to do it.

1 Like

I appreciate you, thank you for the encouragement. The person I had told one of my biggest lies to responded and was obviously very hurt and told me to never come anywhere near them. It happened yesterday and it absolutely crushed me… I felt like a monster for years but this hit me for years. Idk what is real anymore and I feel terrified by myself, I hate myself so much. I almost freaked and almost deleted my Facebook and I had to calm myself in order not to self isolate. When I face the reality of my condition, it’s like almost a raging out of body experience. Like… I didn’t know I’m capable of being this sociopathic. I hate everything in my life… I feel like I can destroy everything in my life in just a second. I’m a ticking time bomb and I don’t know when I’ll ever be able to trust myself. This pain deep inside my chest makes me wish I didn’t. to exist anymore… I recognize my the hatred for myself in others, they hate me like I hate myself.