Urge When Driving or in a Car in General

So what should I do when I have urges when driving or just in a car? There are times I just want to pull off the road and give in. I tried turning on the radio to help but the song that came on was a guy singing about all the things his girlfriend liked during s** (honestly that’s a weird coincidence). What should I do about this? Its one of my biggest triggers right now.

2 Likes

Ummm… Ok so I don’t drive yet… I’ve done it like one time… But if I’m understanding this you want to relapse in your car?

1 Like

Yeah I remember you saying you didn’t drive last time I asked this. :joy: That’s what I’m saying, yes.

2 Likes

Ok, I want you the next time you get an urge to completely tune out all noise… Radio on or off just tune it all out… And I want you to focus harder than you ever have before on all of your surroundings and every possible outcome of the decision you make while driving… Drive more focused than you have ever done before!!

I get this way at times as well, especially when I start going through some things in my head (Anxiety is a trigger for me).

You mentioned music. I think you certainly can find something less triggering to listen to on the radio, if you absolutely need music in the car. Perhaps if you can play music off your phone, there’s always classical, or perhaps an interesting podcast to keep your mind off those urges.

As a last resort, I use the approach of “if I pull off somewhere and give in, i will be caught and labeled a sex offender most likely”.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s probably a safer thing to do. :grin:

1 Like

That’s good advice. I’ll keep it in mind. I was thinking that about being caught.

1 Like

Also Steve mentioned podcasts! Idk if you are into any sort of horror but I have a few suggestions if you are… You can listen to “The burned photo” or “the edge of sleep” those are so good and imersive!! If you’re into that kind of thing anyways

1 Like

Hm. I haven’t tried podcasts yet because I might pay too much attention to them but I’ll check those out. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.