How to talk to strangers?

Very true man…after noFap I went to college and I was surprising myself because I was talking to random people I didn’t know :joy:
What I found out is that my personality (INFJ) is often confused for an extrovert because they genuinely love to be around people. Till now I was purely introverted but now often others think I am an extrovert even though I am not, but because my true inner personality only was able to shine after I began noFap…very grateful for all the support here <3

@PrDr what personality type are you? Research into that might help

2 Likes

I have been asked such questions before, bro. So, I have memorized these things. I have INFP-T personality. I was born in 1996, so my birth year was the year of the rat, and its sign was fire. Plus, I’m a virgo and I possess very peculiar traits of a virgo male.
Bro, you seriously believe these things. I find them childish tbh.

1 Like

I see bro. I’ll look into it and if I’m able attempt it then I’ll try it for some time too. Thanks for your advice.

Friends, classmates, … no person of that sort exists for me anymore irl. But I go to the gym with a guy who also used to be my classmate in the college, so I hope that’d count.

So, guys its over. The day is done. I completed the first task of sending a video of working out. But I could not talk to any stranger. So, I lost that challenge. But my friend didn’t send me any ohoto/video of her working out, so I won that challenge.
But I do need to overcome my amxiety, and for that, I feel that the advice of all of you would be very helpful for me. Thank you everyone for taking your time and helping me out, and sorry for letting all of you down.
Take care, guys

@PrDr Play some kind of sports any outdoor sports doesn’t matter you play good or bad. It will increase your social circle. It will make your body healthy. You will be more confident in talking with people. Introversion became pandemic since the guys started going out less and less and spending more time on their phones and computer.
Consistent working out will also boost your confidence.

Or learn some kind of fighting skill like martial arts/ kickboxing. These are a huge confidence booster. I started learning martial art but since covid started it’s stopped.

What problem you are facing is more common in western countries or can say in the newer generation. I have met some European guy in my university they are brilliant in the study but they have absolutely zero social skill. They spend their weekend in their room playing video games.

2 Likes

Nah man I don’t believe in zodiac signs lol I’m a Taurus but I’m contrary to every possible characteristic a Taurus individual should have :joy:

Makes sense from what I read…refer this: Introduction | INFP Personality (Mediator) | 16Personalities
Lol I just read the into to INFP and it sums you up to this point xD no offense
Obviously, take the test more than once to be sure… I’ve taken it many times but with the same result
While Myer’s-Briggs psychology is not scientifically very credited, however it does help understand why you make some choices and why you do not

2 Likes

To add further social skills need to be learned it won’t come automatically. Making new friends is also a skill. People are everywhere and everyone wants to have an interesting conversation with someone. You can initiate these things. Even if you are not friends with someone but if you know you can ask him/her for a nice weekend plan. You can plan your weekend yourself then include people in that. If you ask 10 people at least 2-3 people will agree to go out with you.

In fact, people will like you more if you plan something and then ask them. When I joined the university initially I asked randomly multiple people from the WhatsApp group for the trip. I didn’t know any of them. I had to organize everything and I was fearful that people won’t like me if I did anything wrong. But nothing happened. Many people came and now I am good friends with them.

You can take the example of @debellator here. He organizes competitions on this forum so automatically it will increase his contact. Many people will know him.

You don’t need to be friends with somebody to ask them for some plan. You can become friends afterward.

There must be meetup groups in the city to join that and do activities. Join a yoga group, join a meditation group. If there is no group for meditation then create one by yourself then do weekly grup meditation.

So yeah if you think about it you can do many things. Or you can just keep feeling sorry for yourself.

1 Like

Hi @PrDr

For the most part, everyone that has posted so far has provided great suggestions. But what I sense is that you have an anxiety or fear of rejection from approaching people.

Either way, I have a different approach that may appeal to you:

Next time you see someone walking towards you, try to identify something that they made a conscious choice of and make a compliment.

Examples:
“Nice shirt. Looks good on you.”
(anyone with a distinctive shirt)
“I love your hair”
(anyone who appears to have put effort into their hairstyle)
“Cute dog” (person walking a dog)

They will likely reply with a “thank you”. You simply say “you’re welcome” and proceed walking in the opposite direction of them.

Some people may not reply and just make eye contact and either smile or give a head knod. Consider this equivalent to the statement above.

Others may not make any eye contact at all and proceed walking as if you weren’t there. They probably didn’t hear you or they had must have had earbuds in.

The whole idea behind this approach is you have a time limit and a set script. If anyone is caught off guard it will be the other person, and if so they will likely appreciate the compliment, so don’t feel bad. This will get you used to making the first move in a conversation.

After you become comfortable with doing this exercise, if they verbally reply with a “thank you”, stop or slow your pace and gradually follow up with a question:

Examples:
“Where did you get it [the shirt] from?”
“How do you get it [their hair] to look that way?”
“What kind of dog are they?”

When they reply to your question, you can ask additional questions or compliment again and proceed walking.

Examples:
“That’s cool. I’ll have to check that place out.”
(in response to the shirt)
“Interesting. It [their hair] looks great on you.”
“My cousin has the same type of dog. They’re great dogs.”

Even if the topic is not something they made a conscious effort in, people generally enjoy talking about themselves. The secret to make things flow well is to sound genuine, act like you’re actually interested in their answer.

I hope this helps you and anyone else that may have trouble approaching strangers.

5 Likes

Yes bro, you are right. There’s not any sport here that I can enroll in at this age and time, but gymming is growing into a kind of hobby for people here as well. So, I have joined gym. I also wanted to learn kick boxing bro, but there is like a very few centres which teach that here and hence their fee is very high. I hope that I will learn it once I get a good job. Thanks for your suggestions bro, they are all very helpful. You seem to be someone who is expert in this area. :slight_smile: And yeah you are also right about it being a more western thing, since I have never seen anyone else here having same problems as me. Everyone seems to be average to expert at social interactions.
I was just planning to go out with an old classmate yesterday. But it seems like it won’t workout. Can I apply your plan here? Because apart from him and my gym partner, I don’t know anyone else here at all.
And thats a wonderful idea about making groups bro, and the example of @debellator , makes it even clearer.
Thanks for all the advice man, I really appreciate all of your advices. They are all great.

1 Like

Yeah bro, I have taken that test several times. It also said that INFP-T is a rare personality, but on interpals and poetry forums, I found that it was the most common personality. So, I don’t believe in it that much, but yes the traits described, match me very well. I also tried to find out the differences between INFP-A and INFP-T and this ensured that T was indeed the one closer to me.

1 Like

Wow man, thanks. This seems like the easiest idea for me to begin with. And you have really explained it very well. Thanks man.

2 Likes

Hello PrDr, this is my first answer and I hope it can help you or others who have same problem.

Have you tried to join local communities? That helps a lot. I mean if you have nothing to do, go find for yourself. You will meet with people that has similar interest, and from there you can start some small talk. Even I will get confused when I talk to a stranger without purpose, maybe I just do a chit-chat or just asking for something. So if you want to do a deep talk, it will be easy if you have same interest with others.

I hope this helps you, cheers up!

3 Likes

I took the test several times. Iam INFJ-T :no_mouth:

The reason iam socially akward

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about kick boxing, but you can learn boxing at home. It would be good to buy a punching bag, fill it with sand and punchs it until you almost break your hand. But, if you think this behavior is a little bestial. Here are some YouTube channels with empirical and practical knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVkLc2_C-_2DbkAtPoUJWVA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQxhrxXQTUXJhQcM6yeh06A

2 Likes